Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
m476dw
Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks

I am getting the following error message:

Cannot find the remote server. Check server name or use IP Address to connect. Check that the remote computer is turned on.

My computer, macbook pro OS X 10.9, is connected via ethernet cable to printer.  The scan to email feature works fine as well as all other options except scan to network folder.  I created the folder with all the proper permissions and used the EWP to set up the scan to network feature.  However, I get the above error message every time.  

I enabled "remote computer" in the MAC system preferences to no avail.  

Comment for clarifications or more information.  Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for clarifying @Pal_coche

Try using the following path instead and check if that works, the specifid address is not a network location but rather the local disk path and is wrong.

1. Click the Wi-Fi icon and select Open Network Preferences.
  2. For the active connection type locate and note the IP address.
  3. Use the IP address and the shared path, as ex. if the IP of your Mac is 10.0.0.1, set the Network Path as \\10.0.0.1\scan. then complete the wizard by performing a test.

May you see any difference?

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

From System Preferences select Sharing, then select File Sharing and press the Options / Settings button.

Ensure that SMB is enables, as well ensure that the user account is selected within the users list at the same screen.

Be sure to use the IP Address, the printer will fail to connect an AFP host name (e.g. 10.0.0.1/scan)

Hope that may help,

Otherwise ensure you have the latest firmware installed on your printer and check if that may help:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=6457973&swItemId=t2_130648_5&swEnvOid=415...

If there is still no improvement bplease clarify the exact details you use for a such (e.g. the network pass, username... please do no post any additional provate info as your assword.. 😉 )

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Schlomi,

You say the following: "Be sure to use the IP Address, the printer will fail to connect an AFP host name (e.g. 10.0.0.1/scan)." 

Is this an additional step?  Where do I "use" the IP Address?  I already have SMB enabled as well as the appropriate user account.  

- Pal Coche

HP Recommended

What is the exact Network Path you fill within the configuration page? that may allow a better understanding of the cause

HP Recommended

\\Users\apple\Documents\Law Firm\Scans

"Scans" is the exact name of the folder.  Note, it is only this folder ("Scans") that is shared.  

HP Recommended

Thanks for clarifying @Pal_coche

Try using the following path instead and check if that works, the specifid address is not a network location but rather the local disk path and is wrong.

1. Click the Wi-Fi icon and select Open Network Preferences.
  2. For the active connection type locate and note the IP address.
  3. Use the IP address and the shared path, as ex. if the IP of your Mac is 10.0.0.1, set the Network Path as \\10.0.0.1\scan. then complete the wizard by performing a test.

May you see any difference?

HP Recommended

Much, much thanks.  

HP Recommended

With real pleasure @Pal_coche

Great to see you are up and running 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks for the messages about the scan folder. I'm stuck, too. Ugh.

I put in: \\10.0.0.x\Users\MAM\Downloads for the folder type.

I put my user name in: MAM

I put my MAC login password.

I made the folder shared and gave read/write.

It passes the "test" but the printer cannot find it.

HELP ... 🙂

HP Recommended

This worked for me on my iMac OS X version 10.11.2.

Big thanks! 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.