cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
bendit4u
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Scan to computer won't enable

HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 6830
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

multiple installations (with UnInstall run each time after the first) fail to enable the SCAN functionality.  The installation presents an error condition regarding the scanning functionality each time the software is installed, indicating the driver software doesn't include the functionality.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Sunshyn2005
Level 13
17,328 17,221 901 2,543
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @bendit4u

I'd like to help you with your scan feature. I understand from your description that you are currently unable to enable your scan to computer function despite multiple uninstall and reinstall attempts. I suggest a different approach. Please complete the steps below and let me know the outcome of your efforts. I apologize in advance, the steps I present will be lengthy, but I will try my best to make them easy to follow:

Scrub/ Uninstall

• Open the Applications folder > HP or Hewlett Packard folder > HP Uninstaller
  • Click continue, click on one of the printers in the list.
  • * Only do this step if you do not have any other HP Printers.  Hold down Control, Option and Command, While holding the three buttons down,
  • Click uninstall.

Manually uninstall potentially remaining files - I apologize in advanced this is not a fun task! I will try to make it easy to follow. Some of the files described in the following steps may not be found, if you can't find one of the files or folders on your computer, don't be alarmed.

Move the files and/or folders to the trash, drag and drop

• Macintosh HD/Applications//Hewlett-Packard folder
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/ - delete all files and folders regarding HP/Hewlett Packard
  • In Macintosh HD/Library/Caches - delete all files and folders regarding HP/Hewlett Packard
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Documentation/Help/ - delete all files and folders regarding HP/Hewlett Packard
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Frameworks/HPServicesInterface.framework
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Frameworks/HPSmartX.framework
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Image Capture/TWAIN Data Sources/HP Scan Pro
  • In Macintosh HD/Library/Image Capture/Scripts - delete all files and folders regarding HP/Hewlett Packard
  • In Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences - delete all files and folders regarding HP/Hewlett Packard

Move Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/loginwindow.plist to the desktop. NOTE: Not removing the file loginwindow.plist during the manual uninstall could cause the uninstall to be unsuccessful.

• In Macintosh HD/Library/Printer/hp - delete folder
  • In Macintosh HD/Library/StartupItems, drag the following folders to the trash, HP IO and HP Trap Monitor
  • In Macintosh HD/Users/USERNAME (this should have a symbol of a house next to it)/Library/Preferences, drag the following folders to the trash: *Any files beginning with com.apple.print, *Any files beginning with com.hp, *Any files beginning with Hewlett-Packard, *Any files beginning with HP or hp
  • In MacintoshHD/Users/USERNAME/Library/Printers, drag any All-in-One printers listed here into the trash.
  • Drag the HP icons from the Dock and drop it on an empty space on the desktop. The icon will disappear.

Close all open windows.
Restart.
Empty the Trash.

1 of 2

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Sunshyn2005
Level 13
17,328 17,221 901 2,543
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Reset Printing System

1. Click the Apple icon and then click System Preferences.
  2. In the Hardware section, click Print & Fax/Scan. The Print & Fax/Scan  dialog box opens.
  3. Right-click (or  Ctrl  +click) in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system…
  4. Click OK to confirm the reset.
  5. Type the correct Name and Password.
  6. Click OK to reset the printing system. The Print & Fax dialog box shows no printer selected

Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

Remove the print driver - If you cannot complete a step because the file or folder is missing, do not be alarmed just skip to  the next step.

1. From the computer desktop, double-click the Macintosh HD  icon.
  2. Double-click the Library folder.
  3. Double-click the Printers folder.
  4. Right-click the HP folder, and then select Move to Trash.
  5. When prompted, type the Administrator name and Password for the computer, and then click OK. Wait for authentication to complete.
  6. Double-click the PPDs  folder.
  7. Double-click the Contents  folder.
  8. Double-click the Resources  folder.
  9. Locate your printer in the printer list, and then right-click on your printer and select Move to Trash.
  10. When prompted, type the Administrator name and Password for the computer, and then click OK. Wait for authentication to complete.
  11. Click the Trash icon on the taskbar, click the Empty  button, and then click OK to empty the trash.

NOTE By clicking OK, all items in your trash will be permanently deleted from your computer. To delete one item in the trash, click that item to highlight it, and then click OK.

1. On the upper-left corner of the computer desktop, click the Apple menu icon, and then click System Preferences on the drop-down menu.
  2. Double-click Print & Scan.
  3. In the Printers list, click your HP printer, and then click the Minus button to delete it.
  4. Restart the computer

Repair Disk Permissions

• Click on your desktop so that next to the Apple icon it says Finder, then click on Go (you will see this next to Finder after File, Edit and View).
  • Under Go, click on Applications.
  • In Applications select Utilities.
  • In the Utilities folder you will see Disk Utility, double-click this icon to open the Disk Utilities.  
  • Click on your Hard drive, then click on First Aid. Click Okay to allow it to run. 
  • Once the repair is complete please restart both the computer and printer. 

Restart the printer. Now you can download and install the printer software and install it.

File name:  HP-Officejet-Pro-6830_v12.36.0.dmg

Download and install the HP Printer Drivers for OS X.   

When you add the printer, please ensure you are using the HP driver.

1. Select Add other Printer or Scanner                                                  
  2. Select the printer you are adding and next to 'Use' you can the printer driver 

If this resolves the issue, please be sure to share with others by clicking the Accept as Solution button below. If you require further assistance let me know and I will happily do all I can to help. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation