cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ronak4409
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post

Scan to email using gmail as SMTP

HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro MFP M226dw
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I have a HP LaserJet Pro MFP M226dw device.  Scan to network folder feature is working great.  I would like to set the scan to email option too.  As the corporate office uses exchange I have to use another service for SMTP.  I setup a Gmail account and punched in the appropriate settings, but the it fails.  I've tried multiple ports without success, I've also tried setting up the email server settings, again trying multiple ports without success.  I've tried using every combination using SSL and SMTP authentication, but nothing seems to connect.

Does gmail actually work, I've seen some say yes, others say no.  Is there another service that would work outside my corporate network or do I need to setup an internal email server, just so I can scan to emails?

Please guide with detailed steps to configure the settings.

11 REPLIES 11
ShlomiL
Level 17
Level 17
32,548 32,128 5,521 12,974
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

First, Gmail settings should be made as following:

SMTP: smtp.gmail.com

Port: 465

SSL: Checked.

User and password should be checked, you should use yoru full gmail address as the user and its password.

Additionally, Gmail had recently changed several security options which may block the printer from connecting to their servers.

First open the following link and ensure you are logged on to the same account as you are setting for the printer.
https://myaccount.google.com/

Within the Sign-in & security section click on Signing in to Google and ensure that "2-Step Verification" is set as "Off".

Within the left pane click on Connected apps & sites and ensure that "Access for less secure apps" is set as "ON", otherwise the verification will fail.

Within the left pane click on Device activity & notifications, witin the 'Recent security events' section click the Review events link and ensure there are no blocked connection attempt (it will be highlighted in red) , if there is any alert follow the steps on screen to ensure there is no block for that device.

Once you are done run a test for the outgoing user profile and check if the problem been resolved.

Regards,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
SheilaJackson
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you. This was what I needed and once I followed your instructions my test was successful. I am good!

AT115
1 1 0 2
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So, the only way to use this service is to compromise my e-mail security by removing two factor authentication and to allow less secure applications to connect? When does HP plan to upgrade the software/firmware to allow for two factor authentication. I don't feel that I should have to compromise my e-mail security to use a promised feature on a modern printer. Thanks.

ejeje
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi I'm stuck on a M5035mfp trying to enable the scan to e-mail feature.

followed these instructions and printer is saying smtp.gmail.com is not responding or is not a valid smtp gateway

Regards

help is much appreciated

DLMullikin
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you have 2-factor enabled, I've been able to work around it by using the App Passwords feature. Under your Google MyAccount Sign-in - App Passwords. Create a new App passwords - Select App Mail - Name Custom (other) - likely may not matter, but I made sure the device name of the printer, DNS name, and the App password name all matched. A code will be generated that can be used for the device (aka printer) for the login password.

I happend to be setting up a Dell unit, so my settings we're a little different.

port 587 - SMTP Auth (Login) - ensure IPv4 enabled - ensure STARTTLS is default SSL for SMTP (under security)

oh yeah, couple of caveats:

My Dell unit supports Google Cloud Print, so I did register the device with Google Cloud Print under same account before I tried the App Password feature, if that makes a difference.

I have no outbound firewall filtering. If you're having connection issues, verify your outbound (which usually isn't filtered, but on rare occasion).

Working like a charm. Hope it helps somebody else.

JohnWester
Level 1
7 7 0 2
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the tips, but why should we accept dropping security measures to get this to work?  HP should make this GUI more flexible so that first...it somewhat intuitive to setup, and ... then to not inspire me to reduce the security of my entire google account. THis is .. honestly .. irressponsible of HP to put me in this pickle.  While we are on this topic, can I get a way to run NTP on my printer?   My clock is off and doing a cold reset is not an acceptible means to keep the clock in step. Please consider this as constructive criticism in the spirit of improving the experience of all users.

pigleysoo
2 1 0 0
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was struggling to set up scan to email for a couple hours, then followed your steps and put my gmail account. My problem was solved after changing from off to  "Allow less secure apps: ON" at google account!!

Thank you so much for your step by step instruction in detail!!!!

msandman1943
2 1 0 0
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks!  Turing off two-step veification solved a problem I had been messing around with for at least an hour.  I'm a bit reluctant to give up that bit of security, but it will push me to have a more secure password.

nwsteve
Level 1
8 6 0 1
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks so much for the above instructions! The issue was frustrating. My only concern is that Google does not recommend turning on "Allow less secure apps." What do you think about this?

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation