Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Norby Honor Student
Honor Student
1 0 1
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Scanjet 3300c -- HP Precisionscan LT error 2117

installed scanjet 3300c on XP Pro with SP3. When I run the scanning software HP Precisionscan LT v3.02c, the latest version, as soon as I click on "Start a new scan" I get an error message saying that "An undefined program error has occurred (2117)".  Then I click on OK and the same thing keeps repeating itself.  Any suggestions or ideas what the problem might be?  I downloaded the latest drivers with scanning program from HP support site and installed it but why is it not running?  Frustrating.
5 REPLIES
Highlighted
Teacher Teacher
Teacher
282 4 22
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Norby,

Can you scan with MS-Paint, or the scanners and camera wizard?

I work for HP, but these words are mine alone.
0 Kudos
TLCGrapes127 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The following steps have worked "for me" for several years.  Follow all the steps, even though the 2nd 'driver update' seems to override the 1st 'driver update': I have found that both were required.

Use Device Manager.

Update the imaging device driver (1st time), choosing

'No not this time' when asked to search for updates.

'Install the software automatically'.

Update the imaging device driver (2nd time), choosing

'No, not this time' when asked to search for updates.

'Install from a list or specific location (Advanced).

'Don't search.  I will choose the driver to install'.

Select the 'Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 3300C (Hewlett-Packard)' item.  [There may be more than 1 item with these words, choose the 1st.  Don't choose the '.....(Microsoft)' item.

Select the 'Have Disk' button.  Navigate to the driver downloaded from the HP website.  (The .inf file I have is OLD, dated jan 30, 2002).  Select buttons as necessary to continue the update - the driver files are NOT digitally signed.

You should be able to scan correctly now.  You have to do this procedure each time you power up! 

Please let me know your results.

0 Kudos
reszerve Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, this worked for me - but noting:

1. The first driver install does nothing if as with me the default driver is already installed.

2. one driver with (Microsoft) and two with (Hewlett-Packard) appeared, I randomly select the top (Hewlett-Packard) one.  Probable indicates attempts to resolve this and a previous mother board issue in the past with a driver update.

Does this mean everytime I reboot XP will on detecting the USB scanner install the MS driver and I'll need to update the driver to the HP one to use the scanner?

This issue presumably is a result of the WHQL MS driver that came with HP not being compatible with Precision Scan LT?

Thanks,

reszerve

0 Kudos
reszerve Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Reading my and others old posts, I don't think we explained the issue well.

First though, the last drivers for this product appear to be for up to XP only, version 3.02 for this HP web site.  I note there are third party sites claiming a 3.03 version - I downloaded one and it was the HP 3.02 vesrion - a scam to get you to visit the third party site?)

So you load 3.02 and maybe XP works OK?  The next day you power up the PC and try again - back to error 2117.  What is going on.....

It seems to be this:

- XP comes with a WHQL certified drive for the HP scanner already on board - but it doesn't work with Precisionscan LT.

- HP released a driver in package 3.02 that does work with Precisionscan LT, but it is not WHQL certified.

When the Scanjet 3300 is plugged in (or at PC power up if the scanner is already plugged in) XP sees a removable USB device and loads the on-demand  driver for it.  Now if you were Microsoft which of the two drivers you have installed would you load?  Correct, you'd chose the old broken one because it is WHQL certified.

So on any new occassion you want your 3300 to work with Precisionscan LT on XP, you must:

-first plug it in your powered up scanner, and let XP detect it and install the wrong driver.

-then go to the Device Manager (Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager), find your installed scanjet, open properties->driver and update the driver manually ("install from a list...", don't search), ignoring the Microsoft driver in the list and selecting the HP one (in my case the HP one was listed twice - maybe because of multiple install attemps?).  You'll get a warning that it is unsigned (not WHQL) of course but tell it to proceed anyway.

Precisionscan LT should now work until you either unplug/power down the scanner, or restart the PC.  Then you have to repeat the process all over again......

I think we all can feel very disappointed that HP abandon customers this way.  Why would you want to buy new product from a company with such an attitude?  There should be a working XP WHQL driver, even a working Vista and 7 driver.

Hope all works for you!

reszerve

0 Kudos
TLCGrapes127 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My scanner still worked just before I moved "up" to Windows 7.  I could not get it to work with Windows 7 so I bought a new multi-function printer / scanner / fax / copier.  I returned the HP customer loyalty (i.e. voted with my $) and bought a Cannon MX870.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation