Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I can print off the computer but will not scan or copy from the scanner itself.

Please help.

Thank you.

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended

What you have is most likely a scanner lamp that has gone out.  You can try following the steps in this document to clear it up, but most likely it is just gone. 

If the steps in the document don't work, you can try a semi-full reset before thinking about a different model.   To do a semi-full reset:

1. Make sure the printer is on.
  2. Pull the power cord from the back of the printer.
  3. Pull the power cord from the wall.
  4. Wait 30 seconds.
  5. Plug the power cord back into the wall, but do not plug the printer back in yet.
  6. Hold down the # and 6 key.
  7. While holding the # and 6 keys plug the printer back in.
  8. When the lights come on, let go fo the keys.

If the semi-full doesn't fix it, it's just time to get a different printer.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Really?  69 people have viewed this same error so far... does that indicate some sort of lemon?  My HP Officejet 4500 is barely 6 months old.  And now you say it is most likely "just gone?"  What kind of a professional response is that?  p.s. The suggested response did not work for me. 

HP Recommended

If it's only 6 months old, you should be well within the factory warranty.  If your within the factory warranty, HP should replace the printer for this problem.  You can give them a call at 1-800-474-6836, for the U.S. and Canada only, and see if what they have for you.  If you're out of warranty, which you shouldn't be yet, they will not replace anything and will have to charge you for support if you want them to try and help you.  

International users click here to find your support number.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended
The printer was covered under HP warranty and tech support was very helpful to diagnose and send a replacement. I am glad the HP product comes with a 1 year warranty. Thank you!
HP Recommended

No problem.  Glad I could help.

Signature
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have officejet 4500 all in one but after changing my in i got this message,Unable to Scan,copy or print.

How I solve this problem?Please help.

HP Recommended

See my first post in this thread.  If none of that works, you will need to replace the printer.  If you are still in warranty, HP may replace the printer at no cost to you. I'll link the information to get in touch with them below. The link will take you to a form to fill out. Once you fill it out and it is processed, it will give you the printers warranty information, a case number, and the phone number to call.

HP Technical Support Case Call Form:
https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/phoneInput?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5061082

Signature
HP Recommended
Well folks thanks for the tips.

I had the same scanner failure error on my HP Officejet which was a hardly used and fairly new printer so admittedly I was annoyed when it failed.

I tried all of the solutions on here and non worked - being honest problem appears to be more mechanical than power giberish. Fortunately I bought a new printer as one was for another room anyway so I thought; "what the hell. if brains won't work then maybe BRAWN will" so......

I bashed the plastic where the scanner had stopped on right hand side of the scanner, then in the middle of the left hand side on the scanner (glass/scanning section), theres a spindle so I tried turning this around with a big Allen Key in the direction it spun freely and then tried again. It didn't work so I thought..... EXPLETIVE ***^$** IT and turned it around the opposite way and heard a couple of crunches as I had nothing to lose as would bin the 4500 alltogether anyway.

Having had a good couple of crunches against the direction of the free spinning cogs (WARNING - don't overdo it 2-3 at most - no liabilty here if you break your own stuff)I turned the 4500 back on......

Result...... Orange Light, Gone, Error Message GONE.................4500 Works as good as new.
HP Recommended

I can scan, copy & print from both glass & feeder. Can also receive fax. But same error occurs when i send fax. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.