Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@gracei2 - you have no problems scanning or making a copy, but when you try to send a fax you get the error message?  You may have had lightning strike the phone cord.  Here is a document about how to make sure you have setup the fax portion of the printer correctly, if every thing else works. Do you also have the same kind of printer?  

In your case, it could be as simple as making sure you have a header on your faxes which you can set up in the fax setup portion when you go into the printer's settings.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

Dear All,

Scanner Failure. Hp officejet 4500g says unable to scan, copy or fax. Press ok.please healp me

HP Recommended

If you are seeing the error message "Scanner Failure" it is likely your scanner bulb has burned out.  When you make a copy does the light come on at all or does the error message immediately appear on the printer when you do?  Here is a very simple document just in case it is a power-related issue: 

--Scanner Failure--

Try another wall outlet and if that doesn't help, let me know, and I will see if there are any other non-conventional methods if you are out of warranty.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

Thank you Taylorn72! I followed your instructions and it works 🙂 Phew!

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I guess, my problem is the scanner itself. not only the fax... I've got no problem with my line coz it connects. yet the scanner bulb is not lightning. Error msg says: Scanner failure: Unable to scan, copy or send a fax. This msg ppops up everytime the printer warm up's done.

HP Recommended

I did it twice and it worked the 2nd time. However, this is the 2nd Hp Printer that I have bought that has had problems within a year of me buying them. I have two Lexmarks that still work that I have had for years, I just updated..I think I will go back with a brand that I trust.

HP Recommended

Can print from Computer. However  can not copy,scan or fax. Keep getting message that either says "starting to print" or"load white paper" (paper loaded)  or busy.

HP Recommended

Hi Chevie,

Try doing a Hard Reset as described in the following link.  Click Here  Be sure to keep the printer plugged into a wall outlet.  Is there any change?

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
HP Recommended

i managed to solve that same problem on my officejet 4500, on mine the scanner had jammed to the right so whenever i power the printer on the scanner was not moving.  i decided to open the printer, moved the scanner to the far left, put the screws back, powered it on and its working perfectly now:smileyhappy:

HP Recommended

pl help me.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.