Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 3D Scanner

Can anyone advise on the practical aspects of scanning gravestones to reveal badly worn inscriptions please?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi Jon,

did you made some scans? What is the size of gravestones that you are scanning and what kind of material are they made of?

I am an HP Employee

Original David Team Member
HP Recommended

Dear drndadoo,

Thank you for responding.

What I have in mind is to establish a way of 'reading' the worn inscriptions of various stone gravestones.  Gravestones and the lettering on them vary in size and shape but if a way that indentations on a relatively flat surface can be picked out by scanning it might be possible to work out detail and lettering that cannot be seen by the naked eye.

if a series of scans could be taken it might be possible to build a picture of the lettering and make a record of each particular gravestone.  A scan of an area, say 150mm x 150mm might only reveal part of a first name, surname or date but if the scan did that it would be better than other methods which can cause more wear to the gravestone (i.e. rubbing chalk or pouring water over to reveal slight indentations).

There are thousands, if not millions of Family History researchers throughout the world who could benefit from such a facility.

I do not own a scanner but if there is a scanner that can do the job it would save a lot of time, could create a permanent digital record and would not do any damage to already badly worn gravestones.

It might be possible to provide such a service to research groups thereby justifying the initial outlay.  It would need to be portable and probably need work off batteries.

I am aware that HP took over a company called 'David' that was proposing to re-inscribe worn gravestones so presumably scanning would have played a part and what I am looking for must be technically possible?  Please can you suggest a way forward by recommending a suitable set up, possibly with a view to carrying out a field trial?

Regards,

Jon  

HP Recommended

Hard to answer, the best would be to contact reseller and ask for a demonstration. If you can say what would be ineteresting to scan to get those data maybe I can do some scans for you. I do not have any gravestones in my office but I can try to scan something with engravings.

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your very quick response.

If you are able to experiment with some engravings that would help.  What HP scanner would you expect to use?

Can you please send me a list of UK Resellers and their contact details (perhaps within a 50 mile radius of London to start with) that may help and I might then be able to arrange a demonstration near their offices.

Thanks again.

Jon

HP Recommended

You can find list of resellers here:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaign/3Dscanner-resellers/overview.html

Just choose your country.

I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.