Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
thathpguy Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Scanning with HP Solution Center in Windows 7 - Error Running Program

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista (both 64-bit) and I want to use the HP Solution Center to scan to .pdf with my HP Officejet J4680 All-in-One, but every time I try to open the program I get the following error and the program shuts down: "HP Solution Center cannot run because your device installation is not complete." Naturally my device installation is actually complete, and my printer prints and scans just fine outside of the Solution Center (I should also mention that I connect my printer via USB and not wirelessly). Is there a fix for this? Or is there a way to scan to a .pdf file without purchasing new software? I know in Vista I had to download the "Critical Update to Correct a PC to Printer Communication Issue," but I'm not able to install the update in Windows 7.

Message Edited by thathpguy on 11-13-2009 08:07 PM
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
32122 2342 7680
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thathpguy wrote:

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista (both 64-bit) and I want to use the HP Solution Center to scan to .pdf with my HP Officejet J4680 All-in-One, but every time I try to open the program I get the following error and the program shuts down: "HP Solution Center cannot run because your device installation is not complete." Naturally my device installation is actually complete, and my printer prints and scans just fine outside of the Solution Center (I should also mention that I connect my printer via USB and not wirelessly). Is there a fix for this? Or is there a way to scan to a .pdf file without purchasing new software? I know in Vista I had to download the "Critical Update to Correct a PC to Printer Communication Issue," but I'm not able to install the update in Windows 7.

There is an issue when upgrading from Vista where one of the libraries does not get properly updated.  There is a fix available here:

KB975891
HP Multifunction Printers and HP Full Feature Software or HP Basic
Driver solutions do not work as expected after a computer upgrades from
Windows Vista to Windows 7

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"----------V

0 Kudos
thathpguy Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, I've read about this, but I did a clean wipe of my system and a Windows Update does not fix the problem. I have the latest version of the Solution Center software, which I installed through this download, but before installing the Solution Center I installed the HP Digital Imaging program also in the package. Now what I've tried to do is remove my printer from Devices and Printers (by right clicking and choosing "Remove device") and relaunch the executable file I linked to. When I relaunch the program I select something like "add device" and once I pull my USB cable out and plug it back in the software recognizes the printer and says that it is installing the device. The problem is that the program seems to freeze there, while simultaneously installing the printer drivers in the Action Center, and it never installs the device. I can access the Solution Center now, but in the Solution Center it says, "HP Officejet J4680 Series Disconnected!" If I check back in Devices and Printers it looks like the printer installed fine, but that was Windows doing and not the doing of the hung-up program.

Any suggestions?

Message Edited by thathpguy on 11-13-2009 10:14 PM
Correction: after trying to add a device with the Officejet Full Feature Software and Device download I get a fatal error, error situation code 21043839. What's really weird is that after I delete my printer and Windows supposedly reinstall the drivers, I can go back into the Solution Center and it will recognize my printer for about 5 seconds before it says the printer disconnected. During that time I can click on the scan button and after the scanning options load (which is after the printer is disconnected error message) I can go ahead and make scans! This is weird and obnoxious.
Message Edited by thathpguy on 11-13-2009 10:38 PM
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation