Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I would like to send a fax using my new HP Envy 7640.  It is hooked up to my wifi and the printer and scanner work fine.  I do not have any phone lines.  I thought I could send a fax via wifi but my attempts at sending faxes have all failed. Can I send faxes with just wifi and no phone jacks?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Hiuser,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips.

I understand that you are having issues while faxing from your HP Envy 7640 printer. I will certainly do my best to assist you with this issue.

To assist you better and to isolate the issue, I need a few more details. First off, is the issue only while sending a fax? Or is it while receiving the fax as well? Also, if the fax report says that all the tests are passed, then try sending a fax to a different number and let me know if that works.

If you do not have a fax number to test with, and you live in the US, HP has a fax test service you can use. The telephone number for this service is 1-888-HPFaxme (1-888-473-2963). The fax service receives faxes and returns faxes within 5 to 7 minutes to the number contained in the fax header.

Alternatively, check  HP Printers - How to Fax for additional troubleshooting steps. Make sure to check the FAQ section as well.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have not yet been able to send a fax and have not had anyone attempt to send me a fax (wouldn't even know a number to use).  The fax test report shows a pass for fax hardware test and a fail for fax connected to active telephone jack.  I do not have any telephone jacks in my house.  I only use a cell phone and wifi for any type of calls.  I was able to send faxes via just my wifi signal with my previous printer but ths HP printer does not seem to have that capacity.   Not sure what I might be doing wrong.

I have read all the instructions for sending faxes on the HP website.  I could try to send a test fax to your 800 number - however, my printer is not hooked up to a phone jack so I have been unable to complete the fax set up wizard.

HP Recommended

Yes you will need a analog phone line from the phone company in order to use the Fax portion of your printer just like the User Guide says.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.