Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 3
49 41 0 5
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Sleep Mode on 1512 3-in-1 printer

HP Recommended

My new HP Deskjet 1512 apparently goes to sleep after about two hours. I does not come back on when I send it a print job. I have to press the on/off button to get it functioning.

The printer is in another room and is accessed for printing by several  computers. It is connected to my router and once the button is pushed to turn it on it works perfectly  from any of the computers WiFi.

BUT, this having to leave my desk to hit the on button is an irritation.  How do I disable this sleep mode? BTW, I have the same failure to wake up (if that *IS* a failure) when I am hooked directly to the computer via USB cable.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 14
21,074 20,455 1,540 3,476
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

These settings are for setting up your wireless printer to stay connected to your router, keep wireless devices better connected and make your router secure and hack proof.

1. Set a static IP in the printer (click here) outside the DHCP range of the router (check your manual). 

This is for Linksys routers but can be used for all routers.  Verify your DHCP range and change this

first if needed.  More Wireless Printing help is here.

2. Verify in the printer that 'Auto Off' is disabled.  Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) by going to the  

printers IP address in your browsers address bar, click  Settings Tab/Auto Off.  Or use the Printer

Assistant, Printer Home Page (EWS). 

In the router:  (Refer to your router manual for information)

3. Use a fixed wireless channel like 1,6 or 11, never 'auto', try channel 1 first then the rest. 

4. Set router to 20Mhz only, or 145Mbps depending on router. 

5. Always use WPA2-AES (Personal) encryption, but you can try ‘mixed’ mode. 

6. Disable WPS and never use it and disable UPnP for the routers security.  Nobody can hack your

system now and helps with wireless connectivity (if you want to know why, search the web). 

7. If you have a dual band router (2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz bands), make sure the SSID’s are NOT the same,

they must be different for all bands, even for any Guest networks. 

8. Save all settings.  Power off both, wait 2 mins.  Power on router wait 2 mins. 

9. Power on printer and verify it reconnects to router. 

Windows 7/8/8.1   Is Network Discovery on or off?

1. Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network and Sharing Center/Advanced sharing settings.

2. Under Home or Work (current profile) / Network Discovery.

3. Select "Turn on network discovery" and save changes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 3
49 41 0 5
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well. The solution maybe somewhere in this, but I am not sure why all these changes to my network settings need to be made. The printer behaved the same way when it was not in the network but connected directly to my primary computer. I ran it that way for several days and kept looking for a switch in the printer manager to stop it from cutting off.

With the printer connected through the router (Belkin) using the router control panel, I have selected  from the "Network USB devices"  the "Use HP 1510 series device." At about 2 hours idle the printer cuts off and the router pops up a warning that the connection to the "HP 1510 series device was not safely removed."

When I hit the on/off button on the printer the router automatically reconnects and pops up a window telling me so. BTW, not being an IT person myself, it will take me hours to muddle through these items with a significant worry on my part of miss-setting a control and screwing up my network...when all I want is the dang printer to stay on.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation