cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Intern
29 26 0 4
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Snow Leopard & DeskJet 990cm

Recently installed SL on my Mac only to find out that my "old" trustworthy DeskJet 990cm that USED to print double-sided, no longer has that option. Doesn't seem that HP is interested in resolving that problem and wants me to ditch the 990 and buy a new printer! NO WAY! There is NOTHING wrong with my 990 and I have never had a problem with it. I use it all the time for 2-sided printing. Er...I USED to use it for 2-sided printing. At one time when I upgraded my Mac OS, I was NOT able to check my ink supply because that option didn't work anymore and HP was not going to do anything to resolve that problem. NOW, that problem has been resolved and I can check my ink levels. WHY can't I print double-sided? How hard can it be to resolve this problem? I gather from reading various forums that SOME HP printers had this same problem with 2-sided printing, but that problem has been resolved. Just because my 990 is "old", I have to recycle it? HP is really getting me disgusted. Your ink prices are rising so fast that it is cheaper to throw out the printer when it runs out of ink because the ink costs more than the printer!

I hope SOMEONE can help me even if HP can't! Thank you.

Frustrated in CT! 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
pberman123 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I TOTALLY AGREE! I would like to use two-sided printing to be more economical, environmental. Throwing away my perfectly good printer and buying a new one is totally against both principals - fiscal responsibility and green-ness

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
29 26 0 4
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP doesn't care! Their "green company" slogans are just propaganda! They want you to throw away good printers because they don't want to support them and buy new. Look how they get rid of board of directors! Didn't 4 just leave because of controversy about the previous CEO Hurd and his "expenses"! 

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
20,508 20,434 1,425 4,862
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you tried this: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=5038006&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&submit.y=0&submit.x=0〈=en&cc=us

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
29 26 0 4
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Distinguished Professor-

You MUST be new at HP although I see that you registered a month before my original post on 9-11-09. When I posted my question 16 months ago, I got this LONG dissertation from another HP employee who went through this whole process about how a printer driver is made, what it does, how long it takes, how much it costs etc. etc. etc. and that HP can't support a product "forever"! Bottom line was tough sh**. Double-sided printing cannot be done with my perfectly working Deskjet 990cm now that I upgraded to Snow Leopard and that I should just get rid of it and upgrade to something newer. I DID, but it WAS NOT an HP product!

The banter went on for a while with NO results until finally HP posted this page-

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01856359

listing my 990cm as DEAD in the water! I have gone to the link you provided and downloaded the driver. As soon as I get a chance, I will try it and see if it works before I give you a "KUDO".

If it does work, WHY did HP INSIST that my printer would not be supported with Snow Leopard? Were they losing business because of the lack of support for Mac users or was this FORMER CEO Hurd's idea to not support "older" printers? WHY the change of heart 16 months later?

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
29 26 0 4
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I found the original "banter". laserenvy was the "tutor" who gave the dissertation about printer drivers! If those little graphs near your names indicate how good your advice is, I can see why he has a NUMBER 3 and you have three STARS and almost a FULL graph!

Here is the URL:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Mac-printing-and-scanning/Ever-wonder-what-a-printer-driver-is/td-p/119...

Is laserenvy still there or is he gone too like Hurd and the other recently departed board members.  :OpenSmile:

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
20,508 20,434 1,425 4,862
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, have you tried a Gutenprint driver from here?

You know, HP is really not different from other for-profit enterprises when it comes to putting older technology out to pasture. Go find a driver for an older Canon or go find parts for a 1950's Chevy at the dealer or go try to find a Betamax tape.

Like hard drives, all technology eventually either fails or becomes obsolete.  Sorry, its just the way it is and HP is not unique in this regard.

Oh, and I have been with HP over 25 years.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Intern
Intern
29 26 0 4
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Distinguished Professor-

I'll try the Gutenprint driver link. If I remember correctly, I did try that and it didn't work.

As for your other comment, it's like talking about apples and oranges. I'm not exactly talking about a 50 year old printer here. I'm talking about a 7 year old, perfectly working printer, that did not fail and should not be considered obsolete as far a normal person is concerned. it did its job well and still does on my other Mac. To a techie, I guess you think of my printer in dog years. Then, in that case, it would be obsolete. For a purported "green" company you are not trying very hard.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation