Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Printers
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Dear All,

If you come across the Printing issue where  You won't be able to print  only Microsoft Office documents, or printing documents disappear in Windows 7.

It caused by the security settings changes on the user profile. You may either create a new user, login with the new user profile to install the printer

Or Turn off the UAC from the control panel and Restart the PC. Here is the steps how to configure UAC

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-user-account-control-on-off#1TC=windows-7

Hope it will help

Happy Printing.

Click on the "Thumbs up"button on the bottom to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for taking the time to post this solution.

I've been pulling my hair out for several hours now and this worked like a charm.

Envy 7640 was printing test prints, .pdf files and notepad files but would not print anything from office, chrome, firefox or thunderbird.

A power of googling eventually turned up your post and I have not seen anything else to suggest this is common knowledge but I expect this issue is fairly regular so hopefully others find your post.

Cheers,

j

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

Thank you for taking the time to post this solution.

I've been pulling my hair out for several hours now and this worked like a charm.

Envy 7640 was printing test prints, .pdf files and notepad files but would not print anything from office, chrome, firefox or thunderbird.

A power of googling eventually turned up your post and I have not seen anything else to suggest this is common knowledge but I expect this issue is fairly regular so hopefully others find your post.

Cheers,

j

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am glad that it helped you.  I would like hear from you exactly which step help you.  Did you createe a new user profile, or change the UDC settings or did both.

Appreciate your help on this

Happy Praba

Click on the "Thumbs up"button on the bottom to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)

HP Recommended

Hi,

I turned off the UAC settings and this fixed the problem.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

I had the same issue a while ago when i upgraded to Windows 7. I was able to fix the problem by swtiching the UAC as per your instructions. 

I now have the same problem after upgrading to Windows 10 and the UAC fix does not work. I created a new account and i am able to print Office documents but I have too much information on my current account to transfer everything to a new account. Are there any fixes for Windows 10 using the same account?

HP Recommended

I, too, was pulling out my hair until I came across this post.  It is a simple enough solution.  This solution works on Windows 10 Build 10586.  Thanks for this!

HP Recommended

My UAC settings are already set to Never notify.  My system will print ONCE from excel or word or powerpoint or publisher Etc (office 365)

It will print ONCE just fine.  the second file to print won't go until I reboot. 

Creating a new profile causes issues , dropbox, email etc.  How about HP or Microsoft issue a patch to fix this issue?  it's well known, covers many models yet we still have workarounds? I'm seriously just asking WHY not fix the problem?

SO i created a new profile, logged in as the new user.  opened excel  printed my document.  no problem.  printer spooled it right up.  then I opened another file hit print.  WAM  brickwall.  just sticks at the "now printing" dialog.stuck.jpg

Reboot or login to other account......Prints.  Awesome.  $2500 printer yay.   HOWEVER,  I really like the printer.  Just can't print from office more than once per login.

HP Recommended

Previously I had posted this info on the other thread.
(previously mobile mode only allows me to type several sentences per posting, now I'm using Full mode)Here is the solution especially for Win 10 users: Yesterday I got the same problem with you guys. But now I can print normally within my own user profile.I enabled the hidden Win 10 administrator account, and I think that is the secret. Disabling UAC sometimes is not enough. You need to log on as the 'real' administrator. I called it elevated administrator WITHOUT ANY UAC warning / restriction etc. So, this is just a simple solution I hope it will work on any Windows / laptop.1. Find out about how to ENABLE the hidden windows 10 ADMINISTRATOR account. You need to install you printer software from this elevated ADMINISTRATOR profile regardless your current profile is already an 'administrator'.Below link is one of the article about it: http://www.ghacks.net/2014/11/12/how-to-enable-the-hidden-windows-10-administrator-account/ 2. After you created the ADMINISTRATOR account as it was informed in the above link:Log off / sign out, or just switch from current account and login to a new ADMINISTRATOR account that was just created. 3. Install the printer software (or perhaps other softwares that have the same problem). You should then be able to print from this profile. 4. Log off / sign out, or switch from the ADMINISTRATOR account to your previous account. Try to print. I wish you also succeeded to print from your own user profile. Thank you.[Personal Information Removed]

HP Recommended

I had a similar problem, startin with W7 Pro 64. Hoping an upgrade (clean) to W10 would clear the problem was deceiving.

My problem was that I couln't print any *.doc or *.xls-files. converting to pdf and then printing to the same printer (HP OJ 8610) was perfect. Notepad and direct pdf also fine. Checking, reinstalling etc. the printer didn't help. Testpage was not printed (doc-format?), but calibration page came out without problem. Same issues via network.

So I concluded, that this couldn't be a printer problem, but had to be a Microsoft-problem. Thanks Google I found the following page :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/826862#bookmark-12

Since I don't intend to use OneNote. I also deleted the respective DATA-Key. After that the problem seemed to be solved, but I don't know how long. Keep my fingers crossed.

HP Recommended

The link that you provide is going to a "Protect my PC from viruses" page. I desperately need the one on getting Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, and Outlook e-mails to print (again).

Everything printed just fine for years through last Friday. Power blip on weekend made my computer reboot. Monday morning I couldn't print anything. Tech support got it to where I can print from Notepad and a PDF file from Acrobat Reader, but no Office document. Even had me upgrade my Office to 2013 but still not fixed. Now they want to re-image my hard drive!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.