cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
tab1075 Tutor
Tutor
20 19 0 3
Message 21 of 161
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solution Center won't run, Fatal Error during install

Fanaticskc, it's a security feature of Windows7. I haven't played with the settings much, but there may be a way of turning it off, not sure. I have to run some of my programs as an Administrator and when I do that, I get the same UAC warning. 

My Solution Center still doesn't work and I'm tired of uninstalling/reinstalling. I'm pretty sure I've tried every suggestion from HP & this forum without any luck. It doesn't seem like HP even cares that so many of their customers are having this exact same problem. As long as people keep buying HP products, what do they care if a few of us aren't happy?

0 Kudos
CJB Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 22 of 161
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I seem to be having the same problem as everyone else.  I'm running XP and my printer is the J6480 all in one.  It was working perfectly for over a year.  When my printer wouldn't enter power save mode I was prompted to uninstall and reinstall the software.   Fatal error.  I have tried everything recommended by HP and still Solution Center won't run.   Somebody please tell me how to fix this. 

0 Kudos
tbernstein Tutor
Tutor
19 14 0 2
Message 23 of 161
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As I type I'm waiting for a tech call fromHP.

They've already swapped my J6410 because iy wouldn't connect wirelessly properly. It wouldn't recognise the computer it send a scan  from the printer panel

The new machine worked fine - but anytime I power off it loses the setting and I need to reinstall.

I can get the printer back by just looking for it.

I've set the IP to a fixed one and it can detect the printer.

But it still won't detect the scanner.

And when I try to reinstall the scanner driver( add a device) it wants to remove and reinstall everything

It's on USB now and let's see if they can find a solution. I'm not holding my breath.

I just think the software ( for Win 7 at least) is completely pony.

0 Kudos
niemtzowm Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 1
Message 24 of 161
Flag Post
HP Recommended

FOLKS, I THINK I HOLD THE RECORD - OVER 20 HOURS IN FRONT OF THE COMPUTER TROUBLESHOOTING THE FACT THAT MY SOLUTION CENTER WILL NOT LOAD UP (TROUBLESHOOTING INCLUDED CHAT, PHONE, US TECH REPS, INDIAN TECH REPS). SAME PROBLEM AS EVERYONE ELSE. AT THE LAST STEP, CONFIGURING DEVICE, THE INSTALL GETS A FATAL ERROR.  THIS IS BS. I JUST BOUGHT A BRAND NEW HP DESKTOP (W/ WINDOWS 7) AND AN OFFICEJET 8500 PRO.  THIS IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, IVE DONE ALL THE "FIXES" ABOUT A DOZEN TIMES EACH. EVEN FULLY DELETED NORTON ANTI-VIRUS.  FINALLY, THE 10TH TECH I WORKED WITH ON THIS GAVE ME A SIMILAR WORK AROUND WITH AN ICON TO THE SCAN SOFTWARE. IM SO PISSED OFF WITH HP.  I THOUGHT I WAS BUYING THE BEST, BUT IT TURNS OUT THEY ARE RUNNING A JV SHOP.  AMATEUR HOUR IS ALL I HAVE TO SAY.  IF I HAD THE BOX ID HAVE RETURNED THE PRINTER ALREADY.  NEXT OPTION: THROW IT OFF MY 26TH FLOOR BALCONY.  HP, WTF?  SOMEONE AT HP OWES US ALL AN ANSWER AND A FIX YESTERDAY.

tab1075 Tutor
Tutor
20 19 0 3
Message 25 of 161
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Agreed, niemtzowm.

I'm no expert but I'm guessing it would be a simple software fix. Release an updated version (especially for Windows 7) and I'll bet all our troubles would be behind us.

What's ridiculous is so many of us (me included) who were using our HP printers & Solution Center successfully for a long time, that is until recently when all of a sudden BAM, no more Solution Center. What the heck happened, HP? What changed? And why have you done NOTHING to fix this? Stop giving us the run-around and tell your "experts" to take a long hard look at the existing software. IT'S NOT US or our hardware.

My PC is fairly new and when I was in the market for one, I seriously considered an HP but thankfully I went with the brand I'm comfortable with & trust. You can bet after this I'll never consider HP PC's in the future.

0 Kudos
fanaticskc Tutor
Tutor
15 15 0 0
Message 26 of 161
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, I thought I succeeded installing the solution Center even still now I get the Windows security question window pops up every time. I tried to scan document today for the first time since and got this error; the scan cannot be performed because another program or computer is using the network HP imaging device. Try again later.

I closed all the programs, even turned off MacAfee and did everything suggested but no luck. I tried to scan from the Paint but that didn't work either. How do I get to scan again??? It used to be working with my XP and  HP director.

0 Kudos
fanaticskc Tutor
Tutor
15 15 0 0
Message 27 of 161
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, back to no Solution center status. I tried to re-install the software AGAIN to fix this scanning problem and failed.

This is absolutely retarded!!!!!

0 Kudos
PhD Student PhD Student
PhD Student
788 712 52 224
Message 28 of 161
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

I have been reading through this thread and I would like to try to help.

Could all those people who are having fatal error problems when installing give me some idea of what the fatal error message said, did the system try to recover etc.

If you can give me as much information as possible, I will try to help.

JonW

I work for HP
0 Kudos
tab1075 Tutor
Tutor
20 19 0 3
Message 29 of 161
Flag Post
HP Recommended

JonW, in an attempt to recreate the fatal error for you, I uninstalled/reinstalled everything for what has to be close to the 10th time for me.

Normally the install would ALWAYS hang up on the Configuring Product step and the fatal error would follow after a couple minutes. This time I got a completely different fatal error during the install of the HP Imaging Device Functions, but in the end it said the software could run without it. I was able to successfully install the HP Imaging Device Functions after a reboot.

This new fatal error stated:

An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC90.MFCLOC,version='9.0.30729.1",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32". Please refer to Help and Support for more information.

Please go to http://www.hp.com/support for troubleshooting information about "Fatal Error" and "MSI.Status."

But I don't think this has anything to do with Solution Center not working because it wouldn't work before and I never got this particular error. I don't know what the other fatal error was since it didn't give it to me this time.Since the HP Imaging Device Functions installed successfully after a reboot, I'm guessing this fatal error is complete irrelevent to the Solution Center problem.

I can uninstall/reinstall again to try to get that other fatal error, but it'll have to be done another time cause I'm tired of dealing with it.

When I try to start Solution Center, I get the black error box stating:

HP Solution Center cannot run because your device installation is not complete.

Please plug in the USB cable or re-run the setup program from the installation CD for a network installation.

If this does not complete the installation, or you do not have the CD, access the HP help files by clicking the Start menu.

As I said in post #1, I'm using the fully functional software downloaded from HP. It detects my printer during install, the icon in my Taskbar says my device is ready to use, and I can still scan from Windows Paint. But I want Solution Center back.

0 Kudos
uh6 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 30 of 161
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It was absolutely a nightmare.. I myself encountered numerous problems (incl. the dreaded "Device not found" error message) trying to get HP Solution Center software Release 14 (HPSC) to work with HP Deskjet F2480 after installing it on, not one but two different Windows XP SP3 PCs while the software's  homepage clearly indicated that the device was ready.    Various attempts to rectify them via MSCONFIG and REGEDIT had been carried out to no avail.    Re-installing the operating systems seemed to eliminate the problems.. well initially.    Alas, some of HPSC's DLLs caused further software-conflicts while re-installing my other software applications.    Oddly enough, the printer was fully functional and working fine just using XP's bundled software instead of HPSC.    The question is should we users have to go through all so much aggravation and spend so many days (in my case) on end just trying to install a printer, especially in this day and age ? 

I'm of the opinion that HPSC is unnecessarily (and grossly) bloated, not to mention deeply flawed.    One would only need to browse the forum and/or the web to realize the extend of the aggravation, wasted valuable time and effort,  disappointment and anger the software has caused its users.   HP ought to look into this mess with utmost urgency.   

My honest advice to others is to avoid purchasing any HP printer (that has HPSC bundled) at all costs until the software flaws are fully eliminated. 

0 Kudos
Tags (1)

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation