cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
DonnyEss
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Solved the disappearing 4630 printer in "error state"

HP Recommended
HP 4630e
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was ready to give it all up and buy a Brother. I had installed, removed, reinstalled, ran Scan and Print Doctor, ran it again, deleted temp files and nearly starter tearing what's left of my hair out, when I remembered: 

The last time I had reinstalled the software for my terrific HP 4630, I had been offered the opportunity to print via the home network or the USB. My PC had always been the "land line" of my home network. It is connected to the LAN by a CAT 5 cable and to the printer with a USB cable. In the past, this worked out fine because all my previous PC's had no wifi connection. 
BUT my latest PC, upon which I am fighting to load my HP 4630, has a WIFI connection built into the motherboard. It was acting in conflict with the USB connection to the printer. After all, the scanner was working through the USB, and the fax icon was present in the devices and printers list. But the printer wasn't there and the printer wouldn't work from my PC, though it did fine with my wife's iPad and Notebook. 

So I removed the previous installation of the 4630, pulled the USB from the back of the printer, rebooted the PC and reinstalled the printer software. Before completion of the installation, the installer asked if I wanted to converet my previous USB connection to a wireless connection. I agreed. Was asked to plug the USB back in, then in a few moments was instructed to disconnect the USB. And behold, when the printer said itwas ready this time, it was truly able to print. 

So the moral is, if your PC has WIFI use that network to run the printer!!!

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation