cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
rhae
Level 1
7 2 0 0
Message 1 of 24
Flag Post

T520 wireless problem

HP Recommended

The printer was originally set up with the LAN line 3 days ago and we've decided to switch it to the wireless network. When I go into setting (wrench icon), select connectivity, the next screen has the wireless setting and the wireless has a padlock next to it and when you select it, a message pops up and says it's been locked by an administrator. The printer has never been used and no administrator has been set up. How can I get around this or get admin priviliges to activate the wireless.

I posted the same question 3 days ago and saw the answer this morning, but reply said to go into settings (a gear) and select wireless. This did not solve my issue because the wirless setting is still locked (and I don't have  a gear icon, I have a wrench as mentioned earlier). I tried responding to the post, but kept getting an authentication issue and then the post disappeared. 

Thanks for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
23 REPLIES 23
SHThompson
Level 12
3,729 3,679 305 668
Message 2 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended
If you still have the Ethernet cable attached unplug it and then try again.

If the wired connection is active the wireless connection will be disabled.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

0 Kudos
johntm
Level 1
15 14 0 0
Message 3 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I originally set my printer up wired also, two years ago.  I would love to move it now to a different area that requires wireless.  Unfortunately this suggestion and many others I have fount here have not helped.  I have no cables at all attached (other than power, of course) and still cannot select "wireless".  I have rebooted, reset (OOBS, not soft or hard since I do not have the PIN) and all the other possibilities I have found on this forum.  Help!

John

0 Kudos
Mikeg81
Level 10
Level 10
2,276 2,271 113 241
Message 4 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the steps of this document

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03551419

Best regards

Mike G

I'm an HP Inc employee. But my response is not in behalf of HP Inc
0 Kudos
johntm
Level 1
15 14 0 0
Message 5 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, but I cannot even get to step one.  When I try to turn on wireless (or do anything related to wireless), I am told that wireless has been disabled and that I need to contact the administrator to turn it on.  Well, I am the closest thing to a network administrator I have at my home and I don't know how to fix that.

0 Kudos
Mikeg81
Level 10
Level 10
2,276 2,271 113 241
Message 6 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This this doc that explained how to enable/disable the wireless

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03557831

Best regards

Mike G

I'm an HP Inc employee. But my response is not in behalf of HP Inc
0 Kudos
johntm
Level 1
15 14 0 0
Message 7 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for all the help, Mike, but if I didn't make myself clear before, the problem I am having is that I cannot access the wireless functions of the printer AT ALL.  The blue LED does not light up, I tap the connectivity menu item and the printer tells me that built-in networking is disabled, etc.  I can not get the wireless to come on at all!  I have used the web-based user interface to change settings to no avail.  I have performed a full factory reset from the service menu, I have burned chicken entrails and drawn mystic symbols on the carpet and am now in Dutch with my wife.  All for naught.

0 Kudos
johntm
Level 1
15 14 0 0
Message 8 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks!

On step 4 of set-up, the printer is asking me to choose a printer connection - wireless, wired, USB, or connect later.  The option for wireless has a lock symbol beside it.  

How do I make the wireless option work?

0 Kudos
SHThompson
Level 12
3,729 3,679 305 668
Message 9 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Let me ask a silly question, do you have the wired cable plugged in?

You can run this printer wired or Wireless but not both at the same time.

0 Kudos
johntm
Level 1
15 14 0 0
Message 10 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The only cable attached to the printer is the power cord.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation