cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
lawuser
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Test Page print with status Error -Printing

HP LaserJet Professional P1102
Microsoft Windows XP

Appreciate for your assistance

Using USB cable connected to printer and when do printing using Test Page print with status Error -Printing.

Suspected no communication to the printer using USB cable to the machine. At machine no status indication of usb being connected. Printer power status in ON.

Troubleshooting as below:

1. unplug/plug of powercable and on/off power- problem still exist - status Error -Printing. 

2. replacing another USB cable - problem still exist - status Error -Printing. 

3. replacing another machine & test both cables - problem still exist - status Error -Printing. 

4. Install driver on another machine - same problem - - status Error -Printing. 

Suspected hardware end problem on HP LaserJet Professional P1102

Kindly advice

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Retired
Retired
16,806 17,101 1,039 2,616
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @lawuser,

I see that you are having issues with getting the printer recognised on two different computers and you have tried two different USB cables, with the same results. I will certainly do my best to help you.

Try and print a hardware self test on the printer to find out if it is a hardware issue. If the printer isn't in a Ready State, the computer won't recognize it. Printing a Configuration Page. Select Method two.

Restart the printer and make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. (don't use a power hub or a surge protector) This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation. The USB cable shouldn't be longer then 6 feet. Make sure the USB cable is connected directly to the computer. (not a docking station or hub) Try another USB port on the computer.

Check the connections in the Device Manager for any printer entries, under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, look for USB Printing Support or anything with a yellow exclamation mark or unknown device, Mass Storage device. If any are listed, right click and uninstall the device. (if you disconnect the USB cable the entry will disappear from the list, just to be sure it is the printer you can do this, then connect it back again)

How do I get into Windows Device Manager?

Disconnect the USB cable.

Perform a clean boot on the computer and turn off the Antivirus Software and run the installation again. How to perform a clean boot in Windows. 

Then reinstall the printer software again to see if the printer will get recognised.

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the 'Thumbs up' button below.
If you have any issues, please let me know what steps you have taken and the results. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
lawuser
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Gemini02

I following I had tried:

1. Printing a Configuration Page. - same print-error

2. Restart, cable- original HP, another USB port on computer- Done, but same error. Note that, I assume no problem with USB ports as I tested with pendrive which able to read. When using USB cable connecting to print, not even the beep sound of USB connectivity. 

3. Universal Serial Bus Controllers- No yellow exclamation mark or unknown device

4. Perform clean boot- done

Additional

1. Not able to install driver as it stopped and prompting me to connect USB cable from computer machine to printer.

Further advice with thanks

Law

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for providing that information @lawuser.

Just to clarify, do you have the Laserjet P1102 or the Laserjet P1102w?

The reason being, is the Laserjet P1102w model, can print the Configuration page from the printer to test the functionality of the printer. But the Laserjet P1102 is printed from the printer Properties, from the software. If the printer won't print a hardware self test, (P1102w) then the printer wouldn't be in a Ready state and won't be recognised by the computer when connected by the USB cable.

If you have another USB cable to try and possible another computer, see if the printer is recognised, just to rule out a USB port issue on the printer and the cable.

Is there any lights on or flashing on the printer?

Please let me know the outcome. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
lawuser
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Im using Laserjet P1102

Troubleshooting as below:

1. unplug/plug of powercable and on/off power- problem still exist - status Error -Printing. 

2. replacing another USB cable - problem still exist - status Error -Printing. 

3. replacing another computer & test both cables - problem still exist - status Error -Printing. 

There is lights on and no flashing on the printer. (Indicate as On)

Thanks

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @lawuser,

Since the printer isn't being recognized on either computer, it may be the USB port on the printer.

But just to rule that out, I would suggest to check the registry for a ghost key for the printer. Since the printer isn't listed any way in the Device Manager window.

What operating system was on the 2nd computer that you tried?

I can send you that information in a private message.
In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it.

Please let me know the outcome. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation