cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
EloisaJames Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 1
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Trouble connecting LaserJet M1217nfw to wireless system

Hi,

I have a new LaserJet M1217nfw MFP.  I'm on a Mac OSX 10.8.3.

I cannot get the printer to connect to my wireless network.  I downloaded the software for OSX 10.8 and above, and I downloaded an update.

If I hit the wireless button, it search for 2 minutes then says "No WPS Routers Found, Try Again."

Please help,

thanks

Mary

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Associate Dean
Associate Dean
8,492 7,850 685 1,165
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It doesn't look like you can connect the printer to a wireless network on a Mac.  According to the HP LaserJet Professional M1210 MFP Wireless - Installation Guide, the only way to get the printer on a wireless network is with a Windows computer.  You can still connect the printer via Ethernet to the router, but you will need a Windows PC to connect the printer to a wireless network.  Sorry for the inconvenience. 

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
0 Kudos
EloisaJames Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 1
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Actually, not so.  After quite a long time on the phone to HP technicians, we got it working.  There are various drivers that make a Mac work--they are on the HP site.  The problem was that there isn't an updated OSX 10.8.3 driver.  But if you get the URL of the actual printer into your Mac (either by ethernet or by downloading it), it works.  Mine is printing like a charm!  Thanks for trying ~

Mary

0 Kudos
Associate Dean
Associate Dean
8,492 7,850 685 1,165
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Out of curiosity, how did you get the printer on the wireless network?  It will help others who come here as well.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
0 Kudos
Highlighted
EloisaJames Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 1
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was on the phone for 2 1/2 hours (!), so it's hard to remember exactly.  The key is to be persistant.  The first two people I talked to at HP had no idea -- one of them told me to replace my router.  They had me talking to Comcast.  None of that was necessary.

You need to get the IPV4 address for the computer (basically, its webpage) and get it into the Mac machine.  If you get the printer into the Mac (using a physical connection), it will work but it won't work wirelessly.  Then you do this:

apple

system preferences

printer/fax

select the printer

printer queue

show printer webpage

device configuration.

then network summary: and enable wireless.

You can also get it from your computer by running a config report (under reports).  But my IVP4 address was incomplete on the printer's side, so we had to go through the Mac side.  

And then it started working -- I also found this info on a Mac support website, but because my IVP4 address was printing out incorrectly, I couldn't make it work.  Once you have the address of your printer, you can make it work.

Hope this helps!

Associate Dean
Associate Dean
8,492 7,850 685 1,165
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks!  🙂

Signature
0 Kudos
thecyberpatch Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there...

I tried in thousand ways to setup my brand new m1217 using ethernet connections, but the system (osx 10.8) doesn't see anything...

I tried both the automatic TCP/IP setup (from the printer) and the manual as well...

in the report configuration page printed I always read "not plugget"

please anyone can hel me?! I need to set up my printer using ethernet because I'm supposed to use "airprint"...

thanx everybody

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
18,335 17,101 1,039 2,615
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi thecyberpatch

I understand you would like to setup the M1217 on a wired network.

When you connect the printer to the router with the ethernet cable the router should send a ip address to the printer after about 1 minute.

Print out a configuration report to see if you have a valid ip.

On the printer go to setup button(wrench)/reports/configuration report.

Check the ip address.

If you don't  have a ip address then there is a issue with either the ethernet cable, port on the router or port on the printer. (should be a light on the back of the printer)

Try another port on the router, I would also try another ethernet cable.

Make sure the ethernet cable is connected to proper port on the printer and using proper cable.

Printer doesn't ship with the ethernet cable just the fax cable. (top port on the printer)

Once you get a valid ip address then follow the steps in this url.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03425022

If you need more assistance just let me know.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
thecyberpatch Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HI there,

I tried to change ethernet cable and plug into a different router port...

the light on the pribter ethernet port always flash one time the green one and five time very fast the amber one... and do it again and again...

it looks like to work in the wrong way... I don't understand...

what's happening??

I hope the printer and its ports are good..

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
18,335 17,101 1,039 2,615
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi thecyberpatch

Since you are getting a light on the back of the printer it is being detected.

Power recycle the router.

Disconnect the routers power cable, wait 10 seconds, then reconnect the power cable. Wait till it's ready.

If you have mac filtering setup on the router you will have to add the printer mac address which is located on the configuration report from the printer.

Here is the url for adding the printer on 10..

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03425022

Please provide the following information so I can assist you better.

What network setup do you have? (Modem/router/booster/airport)
What brand are they?
How long is the ethernet cable?

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation