cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Trying to locate to re-install drivers for HP Officejet J4550 for MacBook Pro OS X Yosemite

HP Recommended
Officejet J4550
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Hello,

My HP Scanner stopped working a couple months ago, with a message that "another program has control of the scanner". I uninstalled the HP printer app all together (using the uninstall.app) in my HP folder. Everything disappeared. I went into Software Updates from the AppStore and downloaded the HP update. Now, when I open the printer settings, the ff message is displayed: "You need to install software to use this printer. To install the software, choose Software Update from the Apple menu. If the software for your printer isn’t available in Software Update, contact the manufacturer of your printer."

I can print fine (although my printer icon now has a yellow caution diagram on it), but now my HP Scan icon has a "?" and I cannot access the scanner at all.

I just want access to the drivers and I should be good to go. I can't seem to find it anywhere on the HP website to download, and Software Updates from the App Store indicate that there are not updates available.

Could anyone provide assistance?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
15,163 14,989 856 2,164
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey there @svmb,

Welcome to the forums!

I read your post about the scanning and driver concerns you are having with your Officejet J4550 on 10.10. As you mentioned, you are correct when you say that there are no drivers available with this older unit with the newer 10.10 OS X. Your only option to install the printer would be through an Apple Update. See the link below for all of the instructions there are: HP Printers - Installing a Mac Printer Driver Using Apple Software Update

At the end of the guide, click on the "How do I scan with the built-in driver" to see your scanning options on your Mac that will not need the HP Full Driver installed.

If you wish to send me a "thanks" for responding to your concern, click the thumbs up kudos.PNG below! :smileyhappy:

Have a great Thursday!

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation