cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
pwforever Tutor
Tutor
16 4 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Twain Driver problem!

I have tried every support means that HP has on their website and I'm still having the same problem with the Scan feature of my HP Officejet j4680 printers Scan. I've tried the Print and scan Doctor and all the instructions that it has and still the scan feature is not fixed.I am running windows 7 64bit OS and there seems to be a problem with the Twain.dll not working properly. now this problem is with all AIO printers and Win.7 OSand I believe that HP is deliberately not offering the proper fix for this issue to keep customers buying new printers. If there is a fix for this issue can someone PLEASE tell me what it is and how to optain it??? Because I've had this problem since I purchased this printer and then Upgraded to Win.7!!! and HP has yet to come up with a proper solution. my product has been out of warranty but this problem i've had before it expired and still no fix for it!! I have installed Photosmart more times than I can remember and that still doesn't fix the issue.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
pwforever Tutor
Tutor
16 4 0 0
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Twain Driver problem!

This info also may be of some help! - Extended Error info - 8, [(1,0, -2147221164)] shows up when there is a scan error. this is on the same window that tells me:  The HP Imaging device was not found. try the following steps. After each step try scanning again.

- Turn off and unplug the device, wait 60 seconds, and plug in and turn on device

- Make sure that the device's power cord and cable are properly attached, plugged in, and the device is on.

- ReBoot the Computer

- Uninstall and re-install the device

- Reinstall the HP Photosmart software that came with the device

I have done all of these numeruos times and the end results are the same.These are the same instructions that the Print and Scan Doctor will send me through also. So can anyone tell me if there is a fix for the scan feature or am I just waisting my time???  **Also this error message keeps popping up constantly even when I'm not using the printer or it's features**

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3397 3341 104 615
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Twain Driver problem!

I will be more than happy to help you with this scan destination error.  I am sorry this was a pending problem before your warranty was up.  I want to direct you to another thread I am working on where there is an abundance of information on this.  I am actively working on this and I want you to know, it is more or less an issue with the registry, printer software, existing/conflicting drivers, and so on. I mean really the list goes on and on and with one little thing in the computer/software being off, that is what is wrong.  It can not be recreated or intentional but still I do apologize, I know it's frustrating. Therefor, I hope to fix this quickly for you.  I want to provide the link so you can also see those suggestions but I have an easier one for you to try first (trust me this may not look like it but it is the easier method).

--8, [(1,0, -2147221164)]-- forum link with additional/more advanced steps if the suggestion below does not work.

Uninstall the printer using Microsoft Fix It tool (64-bit systems only).  Go into All Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools>>Disk Cleanup and reboot the PC.  Next, create a new user with admin rights under the Control Panel as described in the link above and install the printer's Full Feature Software for the Officejet J4680 (link is for Windows 7 64-bit US version) on the new user account. I have a really good feeling this will work for you.  If not, please let me know how the printer is connected to the computer (USB, wireless, or Ethernet) with any additional information regarding your experience you had with my steps above.  🙂

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
0 Kudos
pwforever Tutor
Tutor
16 4 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Twain Driver problem!

Log Name:      Application
Source:        MsiInstaller
Date:          5/25/2013 9:26:00 PM
Event ID:      11905
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          PaulWade-PC2\Paul Wade
Computer:      PaulWade-PC2
Description:
Product: BPDSoftware_Ini -- Error 1905. Module C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpwDocMgrFWSW.dll failed to unregister.  HRESULT -2147220472.  Contact your support personnel.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="MsiInstaller" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">11905</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-05-26T01:26:00.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>25845</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>PaulWade-PC2</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-1463713750-1944414189-2222786664-1001" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Product: BPDSoftware_Ini -- Error 1905. Module C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpwDocMgrFWSW.dll failed to unregister.  HRESULT -2147220472.  Contact your support personnel.</Data>
    <Data>(NULL)</Data>
    <Data>(NULL)</Data>
    <Data>(NULL)</Data>
    <Data>(NULL)</Data>
    <Data>(NULL)</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Binary>7B42363239434439332D413632392D344139462D384236452D3231384537343141333136457D</Binary>
  </EventData>
</Event>

This error is in your software not in our systems, because I've tried downloading the software from your site everytime I needed to download the software. It's something to do with your software not being upgraded! The HP Photosmart software hasn't had an update or upgrade since I started using this software and until your developers get off there seats and correct it, it will keep doing the same thing over and over again. This is insane this printer used to work properly at one time but since it hadn't gotten any updates or fixes it forces the owner to have to purchase another printer! HP knows about this and is reluctant to correct it for that matter to increase or force customer to buy new machines.

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3397 3341 104 615
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Twain Driver problem!

I do apologize for the frustrations and I am not trying to correct any information in your last statement.  I just want you to understand what I am trying to relate is an informative statement regarding your system.  In order for me to do this correctly without upsetting you any, I feel the best way to do this is to break down your error log and previous error messages here piece-by-piece.

1. Yes, TWAIN is what HP software uses for scanning.  The scanner communication/TWAIN error - 8, [(1,0, -2147221164)] can be broken down numerically. 8 is a Tgrip failure, and since the installation is failing, the scan has nowhere to go.  A recent MS update seems to have been causing this lately as one of my other forum users informed me. 1 usually means WIA is working but the HP scan manager is not so you should be able to scan using Windows Fax and Scan, Paint, or other  Windows scanning programs, therefor, yes, this error is something to do with the software not being upgraded but I will explain more about that later. 4 is part of the scanapp.exe that is missing necessary .dll files.  This number is also related to your error above (C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpwDocMgrFWSW.dll failed to unregister) meaning the scanner application is not able to pull that file out to unpack it into Solution Center.  This happens when Windows Installer fails.  I will post instructions below on how to fix that. Each one of those numbers correlate to which part of the installation failed.  Now to talk about why it failed.

I want to point out the application failed due to the source: MsiInstaller. This error was pulled since the Microsoft Installed failed to reregister.  If you were to try to install anything at this point, be it a video game or Adobe, you may see this same error code: 1905.  The reason error code 1905 is not in this HP document about MSI errors is because this is not the HP software that is failing.  However, it is included in this document (Windows Installer Error Messages) provided by Windows Support regarding a failed module in the Windows Installer.

If this was the HP software failing, I would walk you through the steps on how to completely scrub all HP software from your computer, but that is what the Microsoft Fix It tool was for.  Since you received the error after doing that step, I don't want to waste your time editing things in the registry.  Instead, here are the steps on how to reregister your Windows Installer, which is actually a bit easier.  These steps are found on any Microsoft or Windows support page about fatal errors.

"Method 1
Unregister Windows Installer, and then reregister Windows Installer. To do this, follow these steps:

1. On the "Start" menu, click "Run.

2. In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /unreg", and then press ENTER.

3. On the "Start" menu, click "Run". 

4. In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /regserver", and then press ENTER.

Method 2

Check permissions within the Installer folder. To do this, follow these steps.

1. Click on Start and in the Start Search bar > type in > c: /windows/installer.

2. Right click on c: /windows/installer at the top under programs and click properties.

3. Click on the security tab > Verify if System and Administrator account has Full access permissions.

4. The Everyone account should have read and execute permissions, List Folder Contents, and Read."

Step 3 - I know MS Startup Services play a role in this so the steps above are all explained in full detail in "Fatal Error 1603." To save you from having to repeat all these steps again, you might as well turn off the Start Up Services anyway before installing the software.  See those Steps in Solution Three of this HP Fatal Error 1603 document.  Trust me on this one.  No need in spending any more time on this than you have to and I know disabling startup services works with registration errors during an installation. 

Step 4 - After you complete these steps, be sure to remove all HP software from your computer just by simply using the Add/Remove programs and then running Disk Cleaner from All Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools>>Disk Cleaner.  That tool will clear out your temp folder to remove any additional software that didn't install correctly the first time.  Reboot the PC and install the Full Feature Software and Drivers for the Officejet J4680 (link is for Windows 7 64-bit US Version).  Be sure to customize the software during the installation to avoid installing HP Update, Product Participation, etc so that the installation goes faster.

Even then, if it fails, here is another link to Microsoft about additional steps to follow to fix this.  I really hope my post here outlines all the steps to fix your PC without having to go into this 3rd Microsoft Link.  I know this is a lot of information but in the end, this will also fix any problems you may have in the future with other software installations.  Windows Installer (and in conjunction with HP's TWAIN) seems to have been recently messed up during one of the latest Microsoft updates so if you do not want to do these extensive steps, simply revert back to a date earlier than April 2013 and try installing it then.

Please let me know how this goes. Smiley Happy

**Correction: I double-checked and the updates issues around May 22nd caused a conflict with another user's software. 

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation