Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Tutor
Message 1 of 2 (912 Views)

USB 1 vs 2 and a 7660 photosmart printer and an Airport...

We have a 7660 photosmart printer that we use to print with through an Airport Extreme.  The Airport is new, as is the laptop that we use, which is a mac running Snow Leopard. We have to have the Airport and the printer quite a distance apart,  and so use a long USB cable with a 10' extension on it.

Here's the question:   With an old USB 1 cable and extension we can print both through the usb port and the airport. But with a new usb 2 cable and extension, we can only print through the port. The USB 2 cable is a tad longer and it would be good to be able to use that.   Is there any way to use the USB 2 cable with the Airport, or are we stuck with the USB1 cable. And if so, where can I get a longer one Smiley Happy

Thanks for you help!

marie

0 Kudos
Honor Student
Message 2 of 2 (402 Views)

Re: USB 1 vs 2 and a 7660 photosmart printer and an Airport...

Hello:

You should be able to use a USB 2.0 cable...in fact, I'm pretty sure Airport extreme requires it. 

First, which Mac are you using? And can you tell which version of the Airport Extreme software you have installed? If not, go to the Apple menu, select "About this Mac", then click the "more info" button. You should then have a large screen with a lot of info. On the left side, click on "Airport" under "Networks". On the right you should see new info, including the version of Airport sw. Make sure the Airport Utility is at least 5.5.2. Can you tell me what they say?

Thanks,

Scott Brown

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation