Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 8100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer and printer have been working perfectly together for almost 2 years.  All of the sudden I plugged in the printer to print one day, via USB, and it would not recognize it.  

I had a bad wireless card inside the computer and recently had that changed with the keyboard due to an oatmeal disaster (I go everywhere with my laotop. lol).  Just before those changes were made, it stopped working.  It was blamed on the wireless card but now I am not so sure.  I plug in the printer and Nothing happens.  I removed the software from computer hoping that if I did that and plugged it back in it would recognize and download software, no luck.  Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@amontypooh

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Photosmart 8100 printer. I understand that you are unable install the printer on the computer and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. 

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

• Connect the printer to your computer with USB cable.
  • Search Windows for HP Support, and then select HP Support Assistant in the list of results.
  • HP Support Assistant opens.
  • If a Welcome to HP Support Assistant window opens, select the notification preferences, and then click Next
  • A My devices window opens and automatically detects HP devices connected to your computer or network.
  • Check for your printer in the list.
  • If your printer displays, click Add to my devices.
  • If your printer does not display, click Add an HP device, click Detect my device, and then select your printer in the list of results.
  • Type a nickname for your printer, and then click Add to my devices.
  • Click Scan for updates and messages.
  • Select any updates in the Updates available list, and then click Download and install.

Click here and follow the document to fix this issue.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

After purchasing a new usb cable, I tried to do what your email described.  Except even after plugging in with the new cord, it says USB device plugged in not recognized.  I downloaded HP Support assistant and it did not detect the printer at all.  Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

@amontypooh

Thanks for the reply,

I appreciate your time and effort.

I request you to contact HP Phone support for further assistance on this.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.