cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ITAnalyst
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unable to Install Printer Software on New Model of Computer-Receive USB Driver Error

HP OfficeJet J4580 All In One
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Printer: HP OfficeJet J4580 All In One

Computer: Dell Optiplex 7040

Hello. I need help on an issue. I just changed out an end user's computer. She was using a a Dell Optiplex 990 with Windows 7 64 bit Enterprise Edition and the printer was working fine without issue. When I gave her the new computer, a Dell Optiplex 7040 and downloaded the new software from HP's website. I downloaded the HP Officejet Full Feature Software and Driver Version 14.8.0, updated 12/9/15, saved it and started to run it. I was logged in, and running the software as an administrator and the printer was not plugged into the computer. It did not get very far into the installation before I receive this error message.

" this computer does not have the necessary USB software support to allow completion of a USB installation. The installation cannot continue until this is resolved. Required Action: Click Cancel to exit this software installation. In order to install this device as a USB device, refer to your computer documentation or USB add in card documentation for more information about USB drivers". Required Action: Cancel to exit this software installation. In order to install this device as a USB device, please refer to your computer documentation or USB add in card documentation for more information about USB drivers."

This comptuer's chipset drivers have already been updated from Dell's website and although this model has mostly USB 3.0 ports there are a few 2.0 ports, the printer was not plugged in, yet still could not install the software.

Is there anything suggesting we could try? Any known issues that you know of?

Thank you.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Level 16
Level 16
25,833 25,561 4,577 9,983
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unable to Install Printer Software on New Model of Computer-Receive USB Driver Error

Hi,

From Windows Explorer type %temp% into the address bar and press enter.

Locat and open the latest HP installation folder, which begins with 7z (e.g. 7z1234a).

Open the Setup folder.

Locate the file named as usbready.exe, rename it into usbready1.exe.

Browse back one level up and launch the Setup.exe program.

Now follow the installation and check for any difference.

Shlomi

2019_MeetupAward_Signature_FINAL(1).png
Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
Lili_Ionescu
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, the solution worked fine for me!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
mousa-alsharef
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

dear Sir,

i did not finde the HP installation folder ... my lapto is E5470 it is new ..

is there anyway to install my HP scanjet 5590.

Best regards

0 Kudos
Onfuego
2 2 0 1
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I aso have a dell E5470 laptop with the same issue. I have tried looking in the %temp% folder, but no luck. I also used Dell Command Update utilty to make sure I had the latest USB drivers. It turns out I didn't, so I updated them. Still no luck installing.

I have deleted the printer, removed registry entries, ran as admin, plugged into different USB ports (including the docking station I have) and still the same error.

I am still trying a few more things and I'll update if i get this figured out.

mousa-alsharef
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i think we have to talk to microsoft co. to get best way for sovling our issue.......

i am so sure it is not belong to HP co. anymore ...

0 Kudos
Onfuego
2 2 0 1
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ISSUE RESOLVED! After working on the laptop for hours I figured out this paticular issue. My user account did not have LOCAL ADMIN RIGHTS. I kept trying to use my Domain adminstrator credentials when prompted for the install and it never installed.

I switched users to my DA account, added my regular user account to the administrator group, logged back in as my user account and then installed the software/driver.

At that point I followed the original instructions to change the files in the Temp folder and then it worked like  a charm.

So, for any fellow tech just make sure your account has LOCAL admin rights to the computer.

Best of luck.

0 Kudos
Roberth5
Level 2
15 3 1 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Deleting or renaming USBReady.exe is not a solution that always works.  With the latest software from  the HP web site, the USBReady program is installed and ran during the installation, prohibiting you from deleting it before it crashes the installation.  

HP software engineers have out-foxed us again and made perfectly good and relative new printers obsolete & non-functional through bugging their software.

This USBReady has been a very well documented problem, and instead of fixing it, HP just took away the work around solution.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation