Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 500 Designjet
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The error reads  " Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it,  

"the specified port is unknown".  Have tried an older print driver ( pl532en ) according to some posts I read and have disabled the driver signature but still no luck.  Please help.   Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended
Hi, Thanks for contacting with HP support forum.

Please try to downloading the hpgl2 driver and setup manually.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-designjet-500-printer-series/25301

If possible use windows 7 64 bit.

I hope that download will help to you.

Regards
Rashed
Regards/Rashed
https://www.linkedin.com/in/rasheddul
HP Recommended

Thanks Rashed.  I will try it but I am running Windows 10 .  I had to reformat my hard drive last weeek due to a security issue and after re - installing Windows 10 , I could not get my plotter to work.  the first time I installed Windows 10, I had no problem installing the driver.  I don't know why it is different this time.  Will let you know how it does.

HP Recommended

No that driver did not install Rashed.  I had tried that one before.  there is something else going on here that is really weird.  I hope someone can come up with an answer.

HP Recommended
Please download the GL2 driver as mention link and setup manually.

Is it customize windows or as well pack.

I am also installed that printer in windows 10.

Are you using this printer with windows 10 in previous time.

Regards
Rashed
Regards/Rashed
https://www.linkedin.com/in/rasheddul
HP Recommended

Yes, I tried to install that driver Rashed but it did not take.  And yes, my plotter used to work under windows 10 pro but  after I reformatted the drive and re-installed Windows due to a security issue, it won't work .  The re-install was not customized, just regular installation off the disk.

HP Recommended

First off the gl2 driver will not work unless the printer has the gl2 card installed. I have seen issues with windows and usb connections since the plotter is usb2 and windows 10 support usb3. I usually suggest if the printer does not have a network card for the user to obtain one from ebay and the use a ethernet cable to connect the plotter to the switch or router and then connect the printer using tcp/ip. You will want to get a jetdirect 610N, 615N or 620n as they are all supported by your printer and have a resonable cost.

HP Recommended

Hi David,

Thanks for the input.  I don't have a switch or a router in the house, and I didn't need one before I reinstalled 
windows 10.  That is what i don't understand, it worked before so why is the USB issue an issue now?  Is there any way to "customize" windows 10 with a usb 2.0 capability then?

HP Recommended

The problem is  not the usb 2.0 but the computer and windows 10 not liking usb 2.0.  It could be your issue and then again it may not be, but from all I have seen on this forum it appears there are issues when usb 2.0 legacy printers are being used with windows 10. A lot of this seems to have occured with later version or upgrades of windows 10. See if you go into the computer settings and somehow change or adapt the usb ports to 2.0.

HP Recommended

OK , I will try.

Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.