cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Unable to print with black cartridge

HP Recommended

I have a deskjet D4360 printer with Win7. Up until a few days ago everything worked well. Now I can't print in black ink. My printer preferences are print in grayscale,fast draft. Everything was ok with those settings. According to my computer status, the printer is working properly. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
3 3 0 1
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a D7260 with the same problem.  I have changed the cartridge three times with new HP's.  I have cleaned the printhead 12 times, I have aligned the printhead 3 times, I have been on line with a tech two times.  I have deleted the software and downloaded/installed new software twice.  After no resolution, I have decided to get a laser printer; however, when I visited a local ink supplier to donate the empty cartridges from the past year - he said he had 7 or 8 D7260's in the back.  He told me it was a design flaw in the cartridge to printhead system.  Any air bubble that gets between the two will halt ink flow and he does not know any way to get rid of the air.  The tech told me I had a bad print head although I have only went through fewer than a thousand sheets since the machine was purchased new.  If only HP would be up front and offer some sort of compensation...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So I'll have to buy a new printer? I was just about to buy a new black cartridge, but now I'll hold off. Thanks for the information.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
33,091 26,473 2,405 8,647
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your printer is much different than the other users D7260.  In your printer the printheads and ink supplies are replaced together.

Is your black ink empty?  When you print does the printer go through the motions but the pages are blank?  If so, are there any marks at all on the page?  Will the printer print color properly?   If the answer to more than one of these is "yes" then a fresh black cartridge will likely resolve your issue.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just hooked up my new F4480. After following the installation instructions, I printed the alignment page and the black ink isn't working at all. This is brand new cartridge so I don't see why the colour would work and the black not at all. The supply levels show that the black ink is full also.

I really need to print off my travel itinerary and make copies of my other pertinent travel documents. Your help will be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
33,091 26,473 2,405 8,647
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@gehlbrosfarm wrote:

I just hooked up my new F4480. After following the installation instructions, I printed the alignment page and the black ink isn't working at all. This is brand new cartridge so I don't see why the colour would work and the black not at all. The supply levels show that the black ink is full also.

I really need to print off my travel itinerary and make copies of my other pertinent travel documents. Your help will be much appreciated.

I would start by making sure the clear tape was properly removed from the black cartridge.  If this does not clear up the issue I would suggest contacting HP, 1-800-HPINVENt if you are in the US or here for elsewhere in the world.

For your immediate printing needs I would suggest removing the black cartridge, the printer should automatically switch to "reserve mode" and print using the color cartridge.  If the F4480 will not support reserve mode then you could put the black cartridge in and select photo paper in the driver settings (while still printing on plain paper).  In this case the color cartridge will be used

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the ideas but I have also tried on another HP printer and am still having the same problem. 

I've used a new cartridge too. 

I'm using mac osx. I got the printer with my computer just over a year ago. I have tried installing all the new updates. F41080 and my friend let me try his PSC1410 and still no luck. I also have 2 computers so tried one and when I went to college my teacher was able to print no problems with an Epson and was also just plug and play. 

I am so confused! Any ideas please?

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation