Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet M277dw
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have set up a new Color LaserJet M277dw on a WiFi network. Printing is fine. Scanning has problems. I can scan to e-mail so the scanner is working OK.

My problems are:

1. I cannot Scan to Network despite setting up a shared folder with permission set to Read/Write for Everyone. Each time I try Test it reports "The test was unsuccessful. Try again." I am using correctly-qualified network path names.
  2. When clicking the HP CLJM77 Scan option on my desktop, it reports "The HP CLJM77 Scan was not found".
  3. I cannot see the HP CLJM77 as a device to import from in Photoshop
  4. When trying to Create PDF from Scanner in Acrobat, I select "HP CLJM77 Scan Driver TWAIN"  but then get the message "The HP CLJM77 Scan was not found".

I followed the Install procedure on the supplied CD and no errors were reported on installation.

Thanks

David

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi @SteelD,

I see that you are having issues scanning over the wireless network. I will certainly do my best to help you.

Download and run the Print and Scan Doctor. It will diagnose the issue and might automatically resolve it. http://www.hp.com/go/tools>Using HP Diagnostic Tools for HP Printers in Windows.

Check the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) services:

1. Click the Windows icon (), type services.msc in the Search programs and files box, and then click the services.msc link under Programs. If prompted, click Yes.
  2. In the Services window, right-click Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service, and then click Properties.
  3. Click the Dependencies tab.
  4. Make sure that Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and Shell Hardware Detection are listed, and then close the Properties window.
  5. In the main Services window, make sure that Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and Shell Hardware Detection show as Started in the Status column. If they do not, continue to the next step to start the service.
  6. In the Services window, right-click Windows Image Acquisition.

7. If the option to start the service is available, click Start.
  8. If the option to stop the service is available, click Stop. When the service stops, right-click Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) again, and then start the service.
  9. Close the Services window.

You might have to configure the firewall.

Configuring a Firewall to Allow a Connection with the All-in-One in Windows.

Here is a document for setting up the Scan to Network Folder, to verify the settings.

Scanning from the Control Panel for HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277n and M277dw Printers.

Can you scan by a USB connection?

What were the results when you ran the Print and Scan Doctor? (did it print or scan, any error messages)

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the 'Thumbs up' button below. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I'm having the same problems using Windows 8.1 cannot scan from printer screen to a network folder using wireless. Setting up a network folder fails everytime. It says ERROR: Your printer cannot connet to the Server. Press edit to correct server name and address.

Followed all know setup procedures. Tried using  hardwire for networking, still the same problem. Disabled firewall still notheing. Using a USB cable is useless because none of the features are present in that mode. Printer seems to work fine using it from the computer to printer but not printer screen to computer. I've called HP Support and after 3 calls and 6 hours later, still not working.

Mike

HP Recommended

Hi @desertmech,

I see by your post that you are getting errors setting up the Scan to Network. I will certainly do my best to help you.

Make sure you have the following:

• A network connection. The printer can be connected either through a wireless connection or using an
Ethernet cable.
• The HP software installed.
• An active network connection. You must be connected to the network.
• An existing Windows (SMB) shared folder. For information about finding the computer name, see the documentation for your operating system.
• The network address for the folder. On computer running Windows, network addresses are usually written in this
format: \\mypc\sharedfolder\
• The name of the computer where the folder is located. For information about finding the computer name, see the documentation for your operating system.
• Appropriate privileges on the shared folder. You must have write access to the folder.
• A username and password for the shared folder (if necessary) For example, the Windows or Mac OS X username and password used to log onto the network.

Here is a document for the steps for setting up the Scan to Network.

Scanning from the Control Panel for HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277n and M277dw Printers.

I have provided the manual with information for setting up the Scan to Network, on page 55. Laserjet M277dw.

What kind of router do you have?

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the 'Thumbs up' button below.

If you have any issues, please let me know what steps you have taken and the results. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have a Netgear model C6300

HP Recommended

I have a Netgear model C6300. I have done everything you have mentioned. The tech support has done the same thing but no one can seem to figure out whats happening. Sigh

HP Recommended

Thanks for providing that information desertmech.

I have provided a previous post with similiar error that you were getting. Please take a look at the steps for Advanced Sharing to see if it will help. HP LASERJET PRO 200 MFP M276NW - Can't scan to Network Folder. Disregard the model.

In Message 2, there are steps for checking the Network Path.

Let me know if that helps.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

WIA, RPC and Shell Hardware Detection all started.

Scanning from desktop works fine if I plug in a USB cable. Still fails to see scanner over WiFi. Import via WIA in Photoshop also works if USB cable is inserted. Since the setup instructions involved plugging in a USB cable, it seems to now expect a USB connection.

Have tried both mechanisms to set up Scan to Network Folder. Both routes fail at the Test step. It's as if folder permissions are wrong but I have given Read/Write to Everyone on these folders so I cannot understand what the problem is. Printing over WiFi is fine, but scanning is a no-go.

There is no password set on the user account in this hoime office setup. I have come across systems that insist on a password being set for the user's Windows account. Do you think that might be the cause? I don't realy want to have to set a password.

Thanks

David

HP Recommended

Hi SteelD,

Thanks for letting me know you can scan by a USB connection.

Most likely it is a issue with the User Account Permissions.

Try restarting the computer in the Admin Account and see if you can scan. Let me know the results.

If you can't scan over the wireless network, the scan ports may not be open on the router. You can contact the router company to check and open these ports 9220/9500/427 on the router.

Here is a document To set or remove permissions for a printer.

Please let me know the outcome. Thank You. :generic:

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue as the original poster.  However, I am using windows 8.1.  I've run the print and scan doctor and I get an error when it gets to the "Windows (WIA) Scan" section.  When I check the services the RPC is dependent, but the Shell Hardware Detection is not ( a window 8 thing?) .  However, both of those services are running when I check the services window.  Also, I can scan to an email and scan to a network folder, but what I cannot do is control the scanner from the desktop and get the "HP CLJM277 Scan was not found" error whenever I launch the HP Scan app.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.