Note on archived topics.
04-06-2014 12:43 AM
we have HP Color LaserJet 4700dn printer with the latest firmware 46.220.1 installed. And printer shows device status Vote for Josh. What does it mean? Is my printer hacked or what?
Solved! Go to Solution.
04-07-2014 03:27 AM
I have the same message on a few printers in my company and it seems that we're not allone:
The message is also displayed on the printers display.
04-08-2014 11:28 AM
To clear the message, simply power-cycle the printer. To prevent it from happening in the future, set the PJL password and the Admin Password to your product. Refer to your printer’s User Guide for more information.
Note: This is not a virus/worm and won’t harm your printer. It is simply a control panel “Ready message”.
For Web Jetadmin users, I also recommend reading this document. HP Imaging and Printing Security Best Practices
Assigning a system password (This is for the LaserJet M575, see your User Guide for instruction specific to your product)
Assign an administrator password for access to the product and the HP Embedded Web Server so that
unauthorized users cannot change the product settings.
1. Open the HP Embedded Web Server by entering the product IP address into the address line of a
2. Click the Security tab.
3. Open the General Security menu.
4. In the Username field, enter the name to associate with the password.
5. Enter the password in the New Password field, and then enter it again in the Verify
NOTE: If you are changing an existing password, you must first enter the existing password in
the Old Password field.
6. Click the Apply button. Make note of the password and store it in a safe place.
Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
I am an HP employee!