Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4507

My printer does not stop printing even when one cartridge is empty.  This means that huge amounts of printer ink gets wasted on half-coloured prints.

Is there a setting on my printer which would force it to stop printing when one or the other cartridge was empty?  the waste of paper and of ink is increasingly irritating.

Thanks for your help.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@sjoshea

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP ENVY 4507 e-All-in-One Printer. I read that the printing continues even after one of the two cartridges is out of ink. 

I would like to mention that as this printer uses only two cartridges (black and tricolor), the printer has an inbuilt function known as the single cartridge mode printing. This will enable the printer to continue to print even if one cartridge runs out of ink.

You cannot turn off this feature. Here is what you can do as a workaround:

• Keep checking the ink levels regularly or even the printer will prompt when the ink levels are low. That;s when you may stop printing. You may remove the cartridges out and store them in a zip lock bag so that the ink does not dry out. 
  • You can go to the print settings in Windows and enable the option to print in black only. This will make the printer to print using the black ink only. If you want to print in color, you may change the print settings again to print in color.

Hope this information helps. Do let me know if you have any further questions. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

No, that does not help at all. 

I do not want to be having to sit over my printing to spot the exact moment that a cartridge runs out.  Even if I keep checking the ink levels, there is no indication of exactly whent the cartridge will actually run out, so I am left with the same problem, namely that unless I sit watching every single page emerge, the likelihood of the printer running out of ink on one cartridge and continuing printing, thereby wasting the ink in the other cartridge is high.

There is only one reminder of the ink running low.... maybe you need another reminder to pop up when the ink is actually out so that people could choose to continue to print with one cartridge or not.

Choosing black only printing is not an option when the print required is black and colour.

HP Recommended

Just a FYI here.  The next printer you get make sure they have separate cartridge for black and all colors.  Now you have a separate color cartridge monitor. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.