Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 2
41 33 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Web Printing App Needed For XP

HP Recommended

Today I registered for ePrint and enabled my Officejet 8500 910A for Web Services.  It is on a wireless network with the host computer, a Windows 7 64-Bit and the remote computer running XP-Pro.  Disappointed with the telephone support and the online chat, I am giving the forum a chance.  I setup ePrint because I wanted to find a means of editing a web page under XP so I only print the necessary text.  Smart Print no longer works on my XP where or not it is part of Bing Bar.  Somewhere in the HP articles I learned that Smart Print with Bing Bar is no longer the recommended means to do this and that it is better to use ePrint.  I would rather not fool around with either Bing Bar or Smart Print.  Since I had to restore Windows on both my systems, I doubt that I need to do anything major in Windows XP.  However, is there a way I can use ePrint on XP to do the same type of printing that I used to do with Smart Print?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 9
4,755 4,722 203 624
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately not. The ePrint app works pretty much the same as a print driver. For example, you hit the "Print" button in a web browser or document, in the drop down list, your ePrint printer will be listed. ePrint is designed more as a way to print when you are not at home or away from your printer. I don't have a lot of experience with the Smart Print option, but it is my understanding that it was a tool where you could select a portion (like a screen shot of a certain part of what you viewing) and print that. ePrint does not have this feature.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
41 33 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am not accepting this as a solution because this is a case of withdrawing support for users who prefer XP over the more recent Microsoft OS'.  Maybe the Smart Print app works better in Windows 7, but that is no reason for me to stop using XP.  My experience with Windows 7 will assure that I will never try Windows 8.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
41 33 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Let me state further that on XP and IE8 I am using Epson Web-To-Page, which at least shrinks the screen image to fit on paper. This scenario makes me want to switch my printing needs to Epson, as well as my computing needs away from Microsoft.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
4,755 4,722 203 624
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ePrint just doesn't work that way. It's a completely different service than what Smart Print is. Are you saying that you are no longer able to use Smart Print? If you had it before, it should still be bundled in with the full features and drivers for your printer.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
41 33 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Neither Smart Print nor Printer Assistant work on this XP-Pro.  I had to disable those features.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation