cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
sylvainstgermai
Level 2
12 8 0 3
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

What explains that HP staff are great at replying to a thread but poor at providing the solution?

HP Recommended

So far you guys have been awesome, your "time to first response" metric got to be really good, I love how fast you get back.  As for "time to solution", in my experience, it is awful.  

Look at my three threads, they are all about the same topic, none of you have been able to provide me (and others, I am not alone) the answer.  

Last frustration is to be asked to download a tool form the AppStore that does not exist.  ????

Issue is simple, I am running OSX 10.9, I have a C4780, I have changed my router, I do not have the CD with the printer, the WPS process generates an error on my printer.  

How do I bring this printer back on the Wifi network again?    

Thanks. 

Sylvain

5 REPLIES 5
Gemini02
Retired
Retired
16,806 17,101 1,041 2,646
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @sylvainstgermai ,

I see that you are experiencing issues setting up the printer over the wireless network. I would like to help you out today.

The only software for 10.9, is the Apple Updates. If you installed any older HP Software, uninstall it please.

Connect the printer to the Mac and run the Apple Updates to install the printer's driver.

Restore the printer's defaults.

Go to the Wireless Menu, then select Restore Network Defaults.

Then setup the printer over a Adhoc connection, then to Infrastructure.

Click the Airport on the top right corner on the Mac.
Click on the HP printer from the list. (you won't be on the internet till this procedure is finished)

Print the wireless test report to get the printer's IPv4 address.

Printing a Network Configuration Page.

Open the web browser (Safari) and type in the printer's IPv4 address.

This will open the printer's network page.

Go to the network tab along the top of the EWS.

Click on Wireless Setup Wizard along the left hand side to begin configuring the printer.

Apply your settings.

You have now completed the Wireless configuration.

Click the Airport on the top right corner on the Mac and select your network name.

Click on the Apple.
Click System Preferences, click the Printers and Scanners icon,highlight the USB driver and click on the - sign to delete it.

Then click the + sign, then select the printer from the list, make sure the printer listed beside use: shows the proper printer name, click on the add button. You might have to click on the drop down to select your printer.

Test the printer.

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Have a great day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
sylvainstgermai
Author
Level 2
12 8 0 3
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks @gemini02.

Unfortunately, this procedure does not work. 

Looking at the diagnostic page the printer prints, I see that the SSID is SimaplusEOL1.  I am not able to connect to hpsetup, it is not in the list of available network nor can I set it to attempt to connect. 

The antenna seems to work, the blue light is on.  

Going through this thread, http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Networking-and-Wireless/Wireless-installation-issues-C4780/td-p... I am understanding that the firmware in the printer might be the problem, the user reports the same SSID I have: SigmaplusEOL1.    

Support person @wi-fi-guy is saying: 

The printer's default SSID is incorrect and likely indicates that your particular printer was not properly setup during manufacturing  This may or may not be your issue but if you continue to have troubles, it might be simpler to ask for a replacement from HP.

Since all I try does not lead to success in any way, I am wondering if I am not falling into this case of a badly setup printer.

If I could send attachments, I would share the 2 diagnostic pages I printed from the printer console. 

What next? 

Cordially, 

Sylvain

0 Kudos
sylvainstgermai
Author
Level 2
12 8 0 3
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did an additional test.  I have set my router's SSID to SigmaplusEOL1.  This did not work either.   The diagnostic page reported different results but in the end the printer is still not connected to the network.  

It really seems that resetting the WIFI settings on the printer after I changed my router has caused the printer to be unusable over Wifi anymore.

The printer serial number is [edited Serial Number by Moderator] 

FPU  is Q8380 - 64002

How can I request a replacement printer?

0 Kudos
Gemini02
Retired
Retired
16,806 17,101 1,041 2,646
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @sylvainstgermai ,

Since the printer isn't even being recognized by a Adhoc connection, most likely it is a hardware issue.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
sylvainstgermai
Author
Level 2
12 8 0 3
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks @gemini02.

I did contact the technical support.  At this time, HP will not support me really, they are offering me to buy a new printer a reduced price (mine is no longer on warranty) coincidentally, the price they offer me is more than what I can get online today.  

Assuming your diagnosis is accurate, ie. the printer is defective due to the WIFI reset.   As a customer I clearly feel riped of, rest assure that if I get another HP printer, I will reset the wifi settings on day one. 

Such defects should be better acknowledged and the customer should be better supported.   

Cordially,

Sylvain 

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation