Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Luv my2  Deskjet 9800s and they're key pieces of equipment in my small business.  They're running under my new 64-bit Win 7 Pro but with a win driver.  HP won't let me download the 9800 driver because it's not compatible with Win 7.  (Have the 9800 driver on cd but am hesitant to try installing since HP is denying online installation to Win 7, am afeared it will cause some disaster and daresn't risk losing 9800 functionality altogether).  So I can't access maintenace, cartridge volume, etc.  Am seeing handwriting on the wall, must look forward to replacement days.

What HP models offer a flat bed paper path for thick, tabloid sized stock?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Glad you love those 9800s! I'll forward this to the guys who put those out and we'll get back to you with the current recommendation. And we'll double-check to make sure there are no plans to produce a Win 7 driver for the 9800.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Turns out that there's more amiss in the HP 9800 printer driver provided with Win 7 than a disabled toolkit.  It also produces bad and irregular color that no amount of tinkering could correct.  Thank goodness I popped for Win 7 Pro version so I was able to install XP Mode and run the 9800s that way.   Takes more time & fussing, tho, which isn't my idea of computerization.. Have started preliminary research into new printers and anything that isn't configured to run under 64 bit Win 7 isn't making it on the list.  Have used HP's since 1990, sure hate to change. 

HP Recommended

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a time with the drivers! I wish I could help you there, but the 9800 is old enough that new drivers aren't likely forthcoming.

So, back to your original question. You've probably already looked at these, but here are the two wide-format printers we currently sell:

The Officejet 7000 Wide Format Printer is, I think, the closest current model intended for the same functions as your 9800. However, although its manual states that it can handle the same heavy-weight media, it does not have the manual rear-feed slot to provide a flat paper path.

The Photosmart B8550, is designed and marketed more as a large photo printer. It also does not provide an optional flat paper path.

Reading the customer comments, I see you're not the only one asking for the flat-path option. I will make sure that feedback gets to the design teams for future products. I sincerely hope HP can continue to meet your needs. Good luck in your search!

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I have a 9600 I dearly love, mostly for it's flat manual feed.  I'm a watercolorist and making prints on lightweight waterolor paper requies a flat feed.  that kind of papaer just does not feed around rollers.

Does HP consider it an enhancement to take away the manual feed?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.