Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5540
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

When scanning, saving as a PDF or JPEG this is the image that is produced. I have tried reinstalling the printer driver, and have had no success. Not sure what the problem is or where to go from here to get help solving this issue, any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you! 

Scan0001.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@_Mel_uh_dee_

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand scanning a document produces lines on the scanned image,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Do the lines appear on the scanned image or the paper you print the scanned image on?

Did you check if the copier works as a stand alone printer?

Have you attempted to clean the scanner glass or ADF?

While you respond to that, here's a few things you should know:

Clean the scanner

Fingerprints, smudges, dust, or debris on the scanner glass, under the scanner lid, or in the document feed slot can cause lines and color bands. Clean these parts with a soft, lint-free cloth sprayed with glass cleaner.

Clean the automatic document feeder (ADF) rollers

If your printer has an automatic document feeder (ADF), dust or paper residue on the rollers or separator pad inside the ADF can result in scan quality issues. Open the ADF, then clean the ADF rollers and separator pad.

Change the scan settings

Change the scan settings to increase resolution, adjust the color palette, or increase the contrast.

Hard Reset the printer

Resetting the printer can force some types of scanners to calibrate which might fix the problem.

1. Remove any items from the scanner glass and automatic document feeder (ADF), then close the scanner lid.

2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer and from the wall outlet or power strip.

3. Wait at least 60 seconds.

4. Plug the power cord back into a wall outlet.

NOTE:

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to a wall outlet.

5. Reconnect the power cord to the printer.

6. Load the original document or photo, then try to scan.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

Keep me posted,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your suggestions, I greatly appreciate it. The lines appear on the scanned image.  I have tried making copies from the scanner and the same image with the lines is printed out. I have not attempted to clean the scanner glass or ADF,  yet; however, this will be the next step I take. 

I did read that the printer should be plugged into a wall outline, and I have recently move my printer away from the proximity of a wall outlet and is currently plugged into an extention cord outlet. Could have have somethin to do with the scanner not working? 

@Riddle_Decipher wrote:

@_Mel_uh_dee_

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand scanning a document produces lines on the scanned image,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Do the lines appear on the scanned image or the paper you print the scanned image on?

Did you check if the copier works as a stand alone printer?

Have you attempted to clean the scanner glass or ADF?

While you respond to that, here's a few things you should know:

Clean the scanner

Fingerprints, smudges, dust, or debris on the scanner glass, under the scanner lid, or in the document feed slot can cause lines and color bands. Clean these parts with a soft, lint-free cloth sprayed with glass cleaner.

Clean the automatic document feeder (ADF) rollers

If your printer has an automatic document feeder (ADF), dust or paper residue on the rollers or separator pad inside the ADF can result in scan quality issues. Open the ADF, then clean the ADF rollers and separator pad.

Change the scan settings

Change the scan settings to increase resolution, adjust the color palette, or increase the contrast.

Hard Reset the printer

Resetting the printer can force some types of scanners to calibrate which might fix the problem.

1. Remove any items from the scanner glass and automatic document feeder (ADF), then close the scanner lid.

2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer and from the wall outlet or power strip.

3. Wait at least 60 seconds.

4. Plug the power cord back into a wall outlet.

NOTE:

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to a wall outlet.

5. Reconnect the power cord to the printer.

6. Load the original document or photo, then try to scan.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

Keep me posted,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

HP Recommended

Hi @_Mel_uh_dee_

I am the The_Fossette. It looks like you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Yes, if the printer is not connected to the wall outlet it may affect the printer performance.

I recommend you to follow all the steps provided the previous post and get back to me with the result.

Keep me posted and I hope you have a good day ahead.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello! I apologize for the delay in reply as I was closing out the school year and heading on summer break. I have brought the printer home, and it is pugged into the wall, I have tried a hard reset...I tried scanning the alignment page, and I am still getting the same lines. I still have warranty on the printer, shoud I have it looked at?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.