cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
RickAZ Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When trying to scan "the scanning software was launched with improper command-line arguments."

When trying to scan "the scanning software was launched with improper command-line arguments."

Printer installed on new computer (XP).  No problem like this on old computer.

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
5,262 4,858 300 929
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello RickAZ

Was the old machine running Windows XP and what printer model are you using? Have you tried the HP Scan Diagnostic utiltiy found at the link below? And how are you scanning (printer or solution center)?

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
0 Kudos
RickAZ Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Both old and new (refurbished) running XP.  Also get the same message when attempting to scan from HP solution center with officejet 6110 or officejet pro L7780

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
5,262 4,858 300 929
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello RickAZ

Try running the HP Scan Diagnostic Utility. It may resolve the problem or give us an idea where to start.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

Krakski Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a HP Photosmart C3180 printer/scanner.... 2008-2010 model... I havent moved it or done anything new, recently the machine does no longer shows as a scanner on my HP Photosmart essential when I want to scan, so I cant choose it from my HP Photosmart essential to scan with, also when I manually press the scan button on the machine a window pops up on my computer;  "the scanning software was launched with improper command-line argument" or something close to that..

However, it still prints without a hitch and shows as a printer that I can select to print with.

What do I do to fix this?

Krakski

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
5,262 4,858 300 929
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Krakski

Did you try the HP Scan Diagnostic Utility I suggested above or have you tried re-installing the printer yet? Also what operating system are you using?

0 Kudos
Krakski Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Using windows 7, so would I first uninstall the software then reinstall? as I have tried just reinstalling through the HP Wizard, and it just puts me through a circle without accomplishing anything.... it does say that the utility is no longer compltely installed... and guides me through steps to re-install and then I find myself back at the beginning again
0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
5,262 4,858 300 929
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Krakski

Based on your information it sounds like something got messed up with the driver. The following procedure will help you remove all traces of the printer software so you can install anew.

From Original installation CD:

1. Insert CD into drive, and then cancel the installer

2. Open My Computer, and then right click on the CD drive and chose open

3. Open folder Util

4. Open folder CCC

5. Run the L4uninstall.bat

6. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

7. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools

8. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

9. Download the full feature software and drivers

Photosmart C3180 Software

10. Run the download to reinstall the printer

If software was downloaded and extracted to your system:

1. Type %temp% in the run field

2. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)

3. Open folder Util

4. Open folder CCC

5. Run the L4uninstall.bat

6. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

7. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools

8. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

9. Download the full feature software and drivers

Photosmart C3180 Software

10. Run the download to reinstall the printer

Krakski Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ok..... thank you..... I guess that means that I will have to find the CD, which may not be possible. is there a way I can do this via an HP website download?
0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
5,262 4,858 300 929
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Kraksi

The answer is yes. The second paragraph explains how to do it without CD. Run the application from step 9 and let it extract. Then exit the installer and follow the steps in order starting on step 1: %temp%

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation