Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
LaserJet P1102w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My P1102w is 2.5 years old. I've had a few problems with teh wireless angle, but it has always printed just fine. 

The last couple of weeks, I've been hearing a slight whining noise when a page comes out of the printer, kind of soft but still high pitched.

Is this symptomatic of anything?

HP LaserJet p1102w
HP 15-ef2126wm
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

What is the toner level? Sometimes as the toner cartridges get near their end of life, they can start making noise due to wear from rotation on the drum.

Any gear, bearing, or drive motor can start making noise as a printer ages, usually its the printers toner cartridge or fusing unit- If your print quality is still ok, i wouldn't worry with it to much, but you may start looking and budgeting for a potential replacement- with smaller desktop printers its usually cheaper to replace the unit rather than have a tech come out.

I am not a HP employee. I am a service tech on these forums researching topics and offering my best guess to aide in your troubleshooting.
HP Recommended

My browser interface says I have less than 50 pages, and that has to be true--I'm at just over 1900, on toner that normally gives me 1500-1600 pages. As soon as it starts streaking I'll replace it, and then report back. I didn't think that it might be toner, because I just replaced it, but I have printed up quite a lot this last week, so that very well might be it.

THanks.

HP LaserJet p1102w
HP 15-ef2126wm
HP Recommended

Just replaced the toner last week, and this is the third time I'm hearing this noise. So its not simply old ink/toner--it must be something else.

I'm sincerely hoping it isn't the sign of the printer breaking down. I've only had this 2 years.

I can live with the noise, if I have to, but I'd love to get rid of it if I can.

HP LaserJet p1102w
HP 15-ef2126wm
HP Recommended

Odds are the laser/scanner motor is starting to show its age. It can be repaired by not sure is worth the time and effort. What you need to do is a google search for the service manual and then look up the procedure to remove the laser/scanner. If you think you can do it, then remove the assembly and open it up and you will see a small motor mounted on a circut board. It will be sort of chome in color. You need to remove that little board and then remove the clip that hold the round piece that turns so you can remove from the shaft. You then clean off the rod of the round piece and then put one very very small drop of synthetic oil down the hole where the rod goes. Spin it a couple of times and put everything back together and it should have a little less noise. If it does not then odds are the laser/scanner assembly need to be replaced.

HP Recommended

Hmm that is sounding like it is more involved than I want to get--never dug into the innards of the printers like that.

Well looks like I'll be listening to teh noise from here on out.

OK thanks anyways everyone.

HP LaserJet p1102w
HP 15-ef2126wm
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.