Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Had to replace my old Photosmart Premium Fax C309 series printer with an Officejet 6500A.  Problem is, I have all these brand new 564 ink cartridges for the old printer, which fit properly into the new printer.  But when I installed the 564's in the new printer, I got a message saying (in essence) "Hey!  You can't do that!" 

Why not?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

That is because those ink cartridges are not compatible with Officejet 6500A which only supports HP 920 or HP 920XL. Going forward please check the below link for the compatiblity of the ink cartridge..

shopping.hp.com-------- paste the model number on the search field------click on the cartridges tab for details

HP Recommended

"Because they are not compatible" doesn't really answer my question.  I've already been "told" by my new printer that they are not compatible.  My question is WHY?  The 564 cartridges fit perfectly into the 6500A machine, so exactly how are they incompatible?

HP Recommended

I just happened to come across this post and had to respond.  

First I thought this was a sarcastic reply to the original question, but then I began thinking, this is probably a real response.  They were probably really trying to be helpful.  Unfortunately it turns out that they wasted not only their own time in responding, but at least 67 others that have viewed the post.  What makes matters worse, this person is probably employed by HP.

HP used to be a great company with tremendous products and support.  Now they seem to just push out cheaper and cheaper printers and constantly are changing ink cartridges in hopes of making people waste brand new cartridges.  And their support has gone WAY down hill.  What used to be arguably the best support is now near the bottom.  Other than AT&T's support, I can't think of one worse than HP's now.

Way to go Carly Fiorina!!!

HP Recommended

I too surfed the net to get an answer to why i could not use 920 ink cartridges in place of 564. I recently had to ditch my 6500 Hp printer for the 3520 series and wanted to know if I could interchange the 920 color cartridges for the new printer .  They are out of the same mold exactly alike.  I g uess the answer is no from what I am reading.  It is highway robbery for what they charge for these ink cartridges.  It is not just HP it is every producer of printers.  When the ink cost more than the cost of the printer something is morally wrong.  There should be a law.  And on top of charging for ink as if it is liquid gold HP goes a step further to make it impossible to interchange ink cartridges that are exactly alike. Really dispicable practice. Do you think that the American public just fell off the turnip truck?  We know what your are all about GREED!!!!

HP Recommended

Hi overtherainbow

The 920's are Officejet cartridges and the 564s are for Photosmarts/Deskjets. They're not the exact same, and can't be interchanged. If you spare cartridges from an old printer, one option would be to sell them online.

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

It is the business model that most printer manufacturers follow for consumer printers. Make printers that aren't intended to last more than a few years, sell them as cheaply as possible and make the profits later on ink cartridges. They took that page out of the shaving razor manufacturers manual. Ever get a razor in the mail free? They do that hoping you will buy their replacement razor cartridges when it gets dull.

HP Recommended
Why can't I use 920 for 564
HP Recommended

@Joandy 

The 920s and 564s have different chips and work differently. The 920s are designed for a range of Officejet printers. The 564s are for certain Photosmarts/Deskjets. 

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

One of the responses from an HP employee (speaking for herself, not for the company) was that the HP 564XL cartridges couldn't be use with an Officejet printer -- i.e., different technology (chips, etc.)   The comment was that the 564 cartridges were used in Photosmart printers, not Officejets.

My Officejet 4620 started have a lot of problems (finally the scanner died -- driver issues --and  reinstallation several times over didn't fix it.)   I purchased an  Officejet 6968, which uses the 920XL cartridges.  Both are Officejets, and the 4620 uses 564 and 564 XL cartridges.

I  haven't tried the 564 XL cartridges in the 6968 -- is there a chance they MIGHT work?

The two cartridges seem physically similar (and almost identical)  and BOTH are Officejet series printers....  As others have said, the PRICE of the 920 (or 920 XL ) ink cartridges are obscene.   (I'll probably try refilling the next time I need fresh cartridges. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.