Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

What a waste of ink and paper.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi julieblue,

I understand you have a Deskjet 2540 that is printing a test page each time you turn it on. I'm sorry to hear this has been happening, but I will certainly do my best to assist you.

It sounds like the machine is printing an alignment page each time it's turned on. The printer will continue to print this page until you scan it to complete the alignment process. To complete the alignment process, you need to put the page that the printer prints out on the scanner glass (as shown in the image below) and press the Start Copy Black and the Start Copy Color buttons together and the printers scans the alignment page and completes the process.

Figure 75: Place the alignment page on the scanner glass

Image: Place the alignment page on the scanner glass

If this is not the page it prints, can you please describe with the page looks like and I will certainly have a deeper look into this for you 🙂

Hope this helps, have a great day!!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I had high hopes that your simple fix would work. I could not get the scanner to scan the one of many test pages the printer keeps spitting out. I tried a number of finger/buttons combination, but the printer keeps printing either the same tesp page, or the other details page (the page with the serial number, total engine page count...)

I've looked at the forums, I've looked for YouTube videos, I've looked for any web site that may have the answer.

I need to persuade the printer to stop wasting paper and ink.

Thanks for any successful help.

RobertSCG

HP Recommended

Hi RobertSCG,

Thank you for the reply!

At this point, I feel your best option is to call HP Tech Support for your area and see what they can do from here.

Have a great day!!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I wish I could tell you how, but... I just don't know. The printer, soon after I posted earlier, began working great - no unrequested test pages. If I had to guess, it may be that what the printer wanted was a test page to be scanned - THEN it would be happy and no longer keep printing others.

Actually, I DID guess at that early on, but after scanning the printer continued spitting out test pages. My son suggested scanning it - thinking I hadn't already done so. At any rate, he scanned the test page and the printer has behaved ever since.

Thanks to all

HP Recommended

Recommended  coppyng test sheet and pressing both copy buttons seems to work, thanks

HP Recommended

I am a PC technician.

After I saw 5 canon printers of the same type (Pixma MP520 and two MP540) dying unexpectedly with the same root cause - motherboard error, I returned back to HP's. There is probably something in Canon printers causing their "death" after some time of using to buy another one.

I haven't seen this on HP. There are other problems, also with the motherboards, but they don't seem to me as "programmed death", as at Canons. Thank you HP guys for a quality product!

I have also met problem with the annoying semiautomatic aligning page mentioned here. This was caused by

1) Bad scanner (it is enough to have something in it way causing not exactly linear movement), on normal page must not been apparent,

2) Dried color cartridge user does not need and buy

3) After refilling the old cartridge with not enough transparent color or with some nozzles clogged (HP guys probably does not like to hear it)

There are two my solutions (tested on PSC1510):

1) Press Cancel button at start of printing the align page - until next turn off of the printer will not bother you

2) get somewhere test align page, it is not necessary to be from the same printer, but from the same or similar type, and finish alignment with this "fake" test page; after this keep it for the next cartridge changing.

HP Recommended

I also have the same problem I think its a scam to increase use of printer ink

HP Recommended

Hi@rhiannonmac,

Welcome to HP Support Forums. Best platform for all sorts of solutions, tips and tweaks to your questions/issues.

To have the best experience on HP forum, visit our HP Forums Guide to know more.

I was going through your post and would like to help you. Thank you for sharing the issue details.

Need  help to avoid the test page being printed every time. Is that right?

This could be due to a bug either in the spooler or in the driver.

Let’s execute the first step of clearing the spooler Que and check if that helps.

recommend you follow the steps below and check if that solves the issue.

• Click Start.
  • Type Command.
  • Right-click “Command Prompt” and select “Run as administrator “.
  • Type net stop spooler then press “Enter “.
  • Type del %systemroot%\System32\spool\printers\* /Q then press “Enter “.
  • Type net start spooler then press “Enter “.
  • The print queue on your Windows should now be cleared.

Hope this helps. Let me know for more.

Happy posting.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.