Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Officejet 6000 E609a Series--Will not print black ink---
No warning lights indicate low Ink levels, so I referred to "Solution Center." The graphic shows all cartridges, color and black to be practically full. I then replaced the black cartridge with a brand new 920XL cartridge, thinking the original may have been defective. Same results as before! I have (1) printed a printer status report, (2) printed a print quality diagnostic page, (3) aligned the printheads, and (4) cleaned the printheads, all to no avail. I even carefully cleaned the receptacle for the black cartridge with a Q-tip to remove a small amount of excess ink. The color cartridges are printing fine, but the black cartridges will not print. (Incidentally, this seemed to happen all of a sudden, not gradually.) I would sincerely appreciate any recommendations to resolve this issue.
                    Thanks………RP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ wespikard -  Here is a link to a document that addresses print quality issues for the model of printer that is mentioned in the first post of this thread. It will give you step-by-step instructions to solutions that will attempt to correct the quality of your printer's output. I hope that this helps. 

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem. All of a sudden, without any error message, my black ink cartridge stopped working. Colors print fine and I can get some light gray print from the black cartridge when I print colors. But printing a strickly black and white page, it comes our blank. I replaced the cartridge and did all the trouble shooting as mentioned previously, including cleaning the printer heads. Do I need to replace the entire printhead assembly, which I have not done yet. Printer is out of warranty.

HP Recommended

Is there a soluton?

HP Recommended

@ wespikard -  Here is a link to a document that addresses print quality issues for the model of printer that is mentioned in the first post of this thread. It will give you step-by-step instructions to solutions that will attempt to correct the quality of your printer's output. I hope that this helps. 

HP Recommended

i  don't know how to use just black ink on my hp officejet 6000 printer

HP Recommended

@Merr_123Man - I understand that you are wanting to print in black in only on your Officejet 6000. Here is a link to the user manual for your printer. Changing the print settings in the software program is covered on pages 25-26. It will address changing the settings for both Mac and Windows operating systems. 

If one is wanting to change the default settings on the printer itself, one can follow this pathway.  On the computer, click on Start, then click on Devices and Printers. Right-click on the Officejet printer and in the dialogue box that opens, click on Printer Preferences, then click on the Advanced tab in the lower right corner of that box.  That will bring up the Advanced Options for your printer, look for the Print in Grayscale option and click on the word "Off "if that it what the printer is already  set to.  A drop down box should appear that will list the options to print in Grayscale, and (if it is an option), Black ink only . I hope that this helps. 

HP Recommended

Mine just started doing this today as well.  Has anyone found the cause of this.  I'm about to chuck this printer in the trash.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I could not get it to print. It had been working fine until then. I fixed the problem. I threw the darn thing out and bought another one.

HP Recommended

This shows "solved" but I haven't seen a solution.  I'm very frustrated with the same problem.  Has anyone found a way to fix it?  Or has everyone trashed their printer?

HP Recommended

See the video link below. The procedure and its variation has worked for many. Unfortunately it did not work for me as my problem is not the clogging of the printhead. Soaking the printhead in warm water for 5-10 minutes has also worked for some people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql5CPAvTaOE

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.