cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Patriceandrobin
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Win 10 printer problems

HP Recommended
Envy 4500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I first installed this printer on a Win XP computer, then upgraded to Win7 and took the free upgrade to Win 10. Under XP the printer was fine, but since operating system upgrades it has been a nightmare!

It is installed as a wireless printer, I have used all of HPs diagnostic/troubleshooting software (which claimed to find errors and fix them), and removed and reinstalled the printer and drivers several times. The faults I experience are as follows:-

1. Printer reported as being offline when it should be fully connected and the wireless light is lit.

2. Prints only part of pages, stops, ejects the paper and then a couple of minutes later tries again with the same result until I delete the print job.

3. Pictures only print part at the top of the page and the colours are all wrong.

4. On exiting windows (close down) I always get an error message regarding an open application that is showing a fault, which I am sure relates to the scanner, and I frequently get windows messages saying the "scanner is now offline".

This has been going on for months now, sometimes if I restart the computer and printer I can get one (only one) proper print then it's back to it's old tricks. I'm about ready to throw it out of the window in disgust. 

Incidentally it will copy and scan documents correctly in both colour and black and white modes so the printer itself appears fault free.

Help please I'm at my wits end.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
21,068 21,032 1,398 2,343
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Patriceandrobin,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I see from the post that you are having issues with your HP Envy 4500 printer on Windows 10. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you to resolve your concern,

Hard reset on the printer, router, computer and other devices on the same network.

The following steps temporarily disconnect network and Internet connections and require restarting your computer. Complete any tasks or downloads in progress before continuing.

1. Press the Power button on the printer to turn it off.

2. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

3. Disconnect the power cord from the wireless router.

4. Turn off the computer.

5. Wait for 30 seconds.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the wireless router.

7. Wait for 30 seconds, or until the router is fully on and ready

8. Turn the computer back on.

9. Wait for the computer to reload

10. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

11. Turn the printer back on.

Let’s try assigning a static IP to try and fix this issue. Follow the steps below:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Once done, reinstall the printer drivers. Follow the steps below:

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer and computer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click on  http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL47762/mp-115701-6/EN4500_198.exe to download and install the updated printer drivers.
  • In the connection type window, select “Wireless” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to update the firmware of the printer, using this link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/en4500/EN4500_R1547A.exe

Let me know if those steps worked for you.  If they did, that’s awesome!  Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Patriceandrobin
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Jeet_Singh for your reply, I completed all the steps you documented, but there has been no change in the erratic behaviour of the printer or the closedown error message regarding the scanner. I'm beginning to think the only answer will be to ditch the wireless connection and us a usb cable instead.

0 Kudos
Rainbow23
Retired
Retired
7,692 7,685 427 601
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Patriceandrobin,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue still persists after following the steps provided in the previous interaction.

Let me jump in with a solution for this issue in place of my colleague as he is out of the office today.

This issue could occur if the drivers are not installed properly.

Let's go through a few steps to resolve this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you in the links to uninstall and reinstall the drivers:

Step 1: Uninstall the Drivers:

Please follow the steps provided to uninstall the printer software in the link: Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows)

Also, please follow the steps provided below to completely remove the printer software from printer properties.

Steps to remove printer driver files from Print Server Properties:

1. Open the Print Server Properties dialog window by doing one of the following:
    • Click the Start menu and in the search field type 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click it in the search list.
    • Press WINDOWS-R on the keyboard to bring up the Run window, type in 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click OK.
    • From the Start menu or the Start screen:
    • Open Devices and Printers.
    • Select any printer and then click "Print server properties" at the top of the window.
    • Click on the Drivers tab.
  2. Select the printer driver you wish to uninstall.
  3. Click the Remove button.
  4. Select "Remove driver and driver package" and click OK.

Step 2: Download and install the Drivers from the link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL47762/mp-115701-6/EN4500_198.exe

Let me know if this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the Accept as Solution button, Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation