cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
lthpuser
Level 2
26 9 0 5
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Win 7 64bitX64bit wireless not see USB drive of H711n but 2nd PC X USB cable sees/shows

HP Recommended
H711n
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have 2 PCs connected to my H711n (and why for gosh would I or anyone else ever want to type out its 'aka' description, HP Officeject 6700 Premium eAIO).  The newer PC, 64x64 (=64bit computer and 64-bit Windoes o/s in this case Windows 7 64-bit HP SP1) and an older Dell XPS-Z connected via USB cable:

1. Most of the time I keep a USB drive inserted into the H711m, for quick scan, later storage and sorting, backup, etc
  2.  Dell XPS-Z connected via USB cable sees and shows the usb/flash drive plugged into the side of the H711n; so I can visualize/show flash drive contents and use when wanted;
  3. Since going wireless the locally built Win 7 64-bitx64-bit pc actually prints faster and better with no appreciable lag the way a USB link does, but it does not "SEE" or "show" the same usb flash drive - even with latest version of HP Support Assistant installed and working.
  4. Comparing the specs of these  2 pcs, the only difference I can identify is that the older Dell PC has2 X usb 1.0 version ports on the back of this PC - one connected directly to one of the USB r.1.0 ports on the XPS-Z Dell whereas the CustomPC is connected via the wireless gateway (modem) from ATT u-verse, and can alternately do a direct print or third option, print via Google Cloud Print -- so far all that I have used is the wireless via  AT&T gateway.
  5. The CustomPC has 4 usb 2.0  connectors (one front and 3 back) and 4 usb 3.0 connectors (one front and 3 back, also).  However since both printers are connected to the HP 711n they should both "See" "Sense" and be able to display as well as perfom/interact with the drive and its contents.
  6. So DELL via usb 1.0 senses and displays usb drive contents while CustomPC neither senses the drive nor can it display or manipulate the contents.

ADDITIONAL: have wracked my braims as well as the internet search capabilities its posesses interfaced with a PC - nothing!

7.  The usb 1.0 drive plugged into the H711n will not be compatible with the eAIO unless it is formatted FAT32; this was determined working directly with HP support when the printer was first purchased, which is supported and contradicted in there articles/URLs from HP and Microsoft

7.a. http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/USB-drives-formatted-with-FAT32...

7.b.  see "https://duckduckgo.com/?q=can+windows+7+read+or+format+media+in+fat32%3F" 

8.0  Apparently a fat32 format is required for compatibility with Apple/Mac iOS systems, while some writers and article say Windows 7 should or should not be able to read/format FAT32 media formatted material?

As I said, since I know the HP Officejet 6700 Premium eAIO can only read FAT32 reliably (initially I was misled by sales person at store when I stipulated the new printer had to be NTSF compaticle/capable.  The Reader's Digest abbreviated manual which came in the carton was silent on the issue of fomats -- sometimes it will read and write NTFS, but non consistently.  Since I've limited the USB media used with H711n to FAT32 format no more problems.

9.0 Which brings me to the $1x10(6)th or million dollar questions: are the current, latest best etc HP Printers, Photosmart, and eAIO printers now NTFS capable in 2016 (well it will be in 8 daze (~:]||| days)?  

Apple hasn't gone beyond FAT32 - is that true too?

Thanks for independent analyses and suggestions...

lthpuser

2 REPLIES 2
ShlomiL
Level 17
Level 17
32,558 32,138 5,523 12,986
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

First, any HP printer, including current printers only support a FAT32 file system, the same applies for any Apple product.

NTFS is a file system used only  by the MS Windows operating system (its full name is Windows NT File System)  not by any other OS such as Linux, Mac OS X or the one included on the printer's firmware.

Windows 7 supports both NTFS or FAT32.

A printer directly connected with a USB, the card reader will be detected automatically, this is not the case for a network connected device.

To allow accessing it through the network it require mounting a physical drive to the network path.

Open Computer and click on Map network drive.

Type \\YOUR Printer IP (e.g. \\10.0.0.1) and then click the browse button. (Click teh WiFi icon at the top of the printer screen to see its IP)

Next expend your printer IP and select Memory Card, then click on OK and complete the wizard,

Now try accessing the mapped drive, can you see the USB content?

If the mean that the card isn't being detected by your Windows 7 PC once connected to the PC itself, but do detected by other Windows XP and the printer, the computer itself would be the place to check, as the card and other devices fuction as expected...

EFIT: From reading some more online, I would also suggest reformatting the USB from the Windows 7 PC itself by selecting FAT32 (be sure to backup all your data first!), if the USB was formatted by the Windows XP PC it might use an older format which is not supported on Windows 7, however Windows 7 reformat should offer backward compatibility with XP too..

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
lthpuser
Author
Level 2
26 9 0 5
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Since the HP community forum 'system' kept this message from me for nearly nine months, it did not solve my problem, through no fault of yours.

The NTFS vs FAT32 or x32FAT, and any other obscure pallindromes was settled years ago with my H711n and only the FAT32, as natively formatted and received from USB companties is used.

Will be decoding the networking language as what you suggest seems logical and probable, however if an HP printer is 'seen' and works on a wired or a Wi-Fi 2.4Ghz wireless network, Cloud Print, WSD, (this is true with Windows XP SP3 as well as Windows 2000 Workstation before that.  

Apparently according to both U-verse AT&T as well as Microsoft Technical support an issue with the locally congested 11 subchannels of the 2.4GHz band the one 2.4GHz band limitation of the HP radio receiver/transmitter severly constricts the systems flexibility and adaptibility.  For example both the computer and the Wi-Fi extender are dual band, 2.4 GHZ and 5.0 GHz capable/compatible; my ISP will furinish a dual band cable modem at no cost.  

As long as the FAT32 drives are seen and interact with these HP printers (which they do and are) I can unmount/dismount them from the printers and put them on a USB 3.1>2.0 compatible USB hub, or plug directly into one of the eight USB ports on my "new" (circa 04-2015; extended warranty 10-2015 when HDD replaced with WD 1TB, so the issue of being able to "see" and to "interact" with the USB drives docked directly into these two HP printers is moot, or like a priority of when everything else is updated, caught up, maintained, etc.

Thank again -- sorry your response was delayed from 12-23-2015 until 08-30-2015 by HP Community Forum System .  I have no idea where its been, or how to do a trace, do you?

Regards, lthpuser

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation