cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 2 0 1
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Windows 10 issue: Unable to print/access printer properties/configurations: splwow64.exe crashes

HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8500 A909a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm running a Dell Optiplex 7020, which came with Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) installed on it; I've upgraded to Windows 10 (64-bit) and installed the latest drivers/apps from HP website following the wizard. Everything seemed to be alright.

Opened a Excel file (running Office 2013 Home & Business) and a "Printer setup" popup came for me to select/configure a printer. Selected the "HP Officejet 8500 A909a" printer e clicked in "Configure". At that moment, a popup window shows the following error (note: error message in Portuguese-Brazil, as I'm from Brazil):

C:\WINDOWS\splwow64.exe
---------------------------
O endereço da função 0x5d8c6fda causou uma falha de proteção (código de exceção 0xc0000005)
Algumas ou todas as páginas de propriedades podem não ser exibidas.
OK  

Translated to english, it is something like this:

The function address 0x5d8c6fda generated a protection fail (exception code 0xc0000005)
Some or all property pages may not be displayed.

Reading some other cases, the reason this popup came right after I opened the Excel file, is due to the fact that there is a Sheet configured to be visualized with "Page Break Preview" (which requires a print preview function to calculate the page breaks when printing), which fails as it does not detect the printer.

The strange thing is that when I open the "HP Solution Center" application, everything looks ok: the printer is detected, the ink levels are displayed correctly. But when I click the button to access the properties of the printer, or the button to configure the printer, the same error happens.

So it seems that the Windows process splwow64.exe crashes when trying to run a 32-bit app/dll's from HP Printer. I tried to use Sysinternal's Process Monitor to check for lack of permissions/data to files/registry that could be the reason for that, but with no success. Probably some debugging is required, but I'm really really rusty at that.. lol

So basicaly, from an installation perspective, everything looks ok. But when you try to access any printer properties/configurations, the process splwow64.exe crashes. So it is impossible to print anything, or even to have a print preview on screen.

Somebody else with the same problem, even on a different HP Printer model? Which OS are you running, and which platform (32 or 64-bit)?

Really considering rollback to Windows 7 64-bit, where this issue does not happen. By the way, we are having the same problem on 3 different machines (all of them brand new Dell Optiplex 7020).

TIA,

Naka

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation