Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the posting.  Worked great after several frustrating attempts with other ideas from other forums.

@Raptor833 wrote:

Good news. There is a solution.

HP Laserjet 1200 or 1300, and possiblly more Laserjet models have the same problem with Vista 64 bit and Windows 7 64 bit . My desktop is XP (32 bit) with a shared HP Laserjet 1200. I have no problem to share it with my other XP and Vista 32 bit laptops through wireless network at home. But I just purchased a new HP Windows 7 64bit laptop and I could not install the shared printer even through I used the downloaded HP universal printer drivers for Windows 64 bit. I searched the HP support forums and found this link was very helpful.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1301542

Now my Windows 7 64 bit is working with the shared HP Laserjet 1200. Here is the solution from the link and I added some more details.

1. Disconnect the printer from the desktop computer on the network. Then, connect the printer directly to the new Window 7 64 bit (or Vista 64 bit) laptop using the USB cable. The laptop loads the correct driver automatically.
2. Print a test page. (This is an important step.)
3. Disconnect the printer from the laptop and reconnect it back to the desktop.
4. Open the list of printers of the new Windows 7 64 bit laptop, find the LaserJet printer. Right click and open "Printer properties" (not the "Properties" at the bottom of list).
5. Find the "ports" tab. Change from the USB port (DOT4_xxx) to the network connection. If you do not know how to change it to network connection, click "Add Port", then click "Local Port". Typed in " \\your_desktop_pc_name\your_shared_printer_name " (This is just an example.). Click OK to save it.
6. Print another test page.

Following the above steps, you will have a shared HP Laserjet 1200 PCL5 printer. To change it to PCL6 printer driver, you will need to use the downloaded HP Universal Drivers for Windows 64 bit. I will not discuss it here.

Thanks to the first person who came out this great idea.

Thanks, worked great!!!

HP Recommended

Raptor883,

Thanks for these step-by-steps.  I tried these and it looked like I had success in that I was able to get the drivers installed and my Win 7 sees the network shared printer (attached to Mac OS X0) - which it always could see. But now when I try to print, my print jobs just go into oblivion.

I did make sure to add credential in my user id to allow admininstrator login to the Mac (I can see all files on the make just fine) and Everyone on the Mac has print privledges.

Anyone know what I may be missing?

HP Recommended

Raptor883,

Thanks for these step-by-steps.  I tried these and it looked like I had success in that I was able to get the drivers installed and my Win 7 sees the network shared printer (attached to Mac OS X) - which it always could see. But now when I try to print, my print jobs just go into oblivion.

I did make sure to add credential in my user id to allow admininstrator login to the Mac (I can see all files on the make just fine) and Everyone on the Mac has print privledges.

Anyone know what I may be missing?

HP Recommended

I still have problem to use the server printer LaserJet 1200.  I think I might have done the last step wrong.  I don't know how to change it from USB port to network connection.  So I clicked on "Add port" and typed the name as you suggested.  It just added it as a new port.  I still couldn't print without connecting the LaserJet 1200 to this notebook.  Suggestions?

HP Recommended

Wow, it actually works!  Thanks so much! 

Just a little reminder for rooky users like myself:

When you do "Step 5" to change the printer port from USB to network connection, you need to have the printer's USB cable connected back to your notebook.  That's how I managed to change to port.  After you change the port, you may connect USB cable back to your network.  It works now.  Thanks a lot!

HP Recommended

Great thanks to you  for your very complete and very clear explanation.
it is weeks since that I try to link my printer laserjet on 1300 on XP from Windows 7 client

I spent hours in the telephone with HP without they are able to give me a solution.

!!!!! Shame in HP !!!!!!

excuse my english, I am french

HP Recommended

Many thanx 🙂

I after same hours connect my HP laptop to HP printer 🙂 by network....

With WinXP it was more easy ....

Thanx for your help...

HP Recommended

with this solution are you able to print multiple pages and collate?  So far no matter what my printer will only print one copy.  anyone else have this problem?  I'm not hooked to a network.  Just using a laptop.

HP Recommended

Having read this thread and suffered all the same problems adding a network printer (HPLJ 4200dn) on a Windows 7 64 bit system - found this solution works everytime.

Answer

Download all the usual drivers from HP and instal on PC

Add Printer

Do not add printer by name.

DO add printer by TCP/IP address.

You can find out the TCP/IP by going to the printer and printing out the config settings

For example, for my HP LJ 4200 it is 192.168.1.199

Then the rest is pretty **bleep** easy.

Frustrating, I know.

HP Recommended

I solved how to install this printer shared from another computer on a network......  Goto Device Manager, highlight any device, and then go to the "Action" menu and install legacy device.   Install the hardware manually and select printers....  It will ask you for a port.  Create a local port and type in the port name.  It will then ask you what type of printer it is and allow you to select the HP laserjet 1200.....

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.