Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 1 (968 Views)

Windows 7 upgrade/installation of J4500 printer

I bought a HP E9107CB desktop about 2 years ago with VISTA OS, but with free upgrade to Windows 7 when available.  I also bought a HP all-in-one printer J4580, product number about a year and half ago.  Both worked fine under the VISTA OS.  I finally get around to upgrade to Window 7 a week ago.  Everything worked according to the upgrade package provided by HP, except the reinstallation of the printer.  I followed instructions to download a full version of the Windows 7 driver/software for the J4500 series printer, but a "fatal installation error" was noted during the "configuring the product" phase of the installation.  I tried the diagnostics procedures provided by HP as well as other suggestions from the HP web pages, but no success of solving the problem

I then contacted HP tech support.  The tech was helpful and spent a couple of hours with me, but again no success of solving the problem.  I was directed to a "HP printer expert" who immediately told me that the printer is no longer supported and offered to sell me anew one.

After the installation failure, I was not able to get into the solution center, but I was able to print certain data, mainly jpg files as well as some pdf files, but definitely I was not able to print from Microsoft Office or directly print from a web page.  After playing with the problem awhile, I am able to find a work around to print anything.  mainly I have to first print to the Microsoft XPS Document Writer, and then print the saved XPS file to the J4500 printer, using the procedure I was able to print everything.  It should be noted that the printer icon on the "Devices and Printer"  page is labeled as "HP Officejet J4500 series (XPS)". 

Seems like a very specific problem that someone must have encountered.  Any ideas of a fix?

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation