cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
awachsman
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Wireless Connection for OfficeJet H470

HP Recommended

I've had an OfficeJet H470 for a while, operating properly via USB cable connected to a Macbook Pro running OS X 10.6.x.  I just purchased an HP 802.11 B/G Wireless Print Adapter, supposedly certified to work with this printer model.  When I plug the device in to the printer, the indicator light illuminates and if I remove the USB cable at that point, OSX recognized a device named hpsetup, suggesting that the device itself is working.I have been searching fruitlessly through HP's and Apple's support forums for meaningful next steps. 

All the documentation I've seen indicates that I on't need the installation CD for the printer, since all of that functionality has been rolled in to the OS itself.  Moreover, earlier versions of the CD's software will supposedly not install in the latest Mac OS.  Accordingly, I've been attempting to configure the wireless deice using a USB connection while the device is installed, but no action I've taken allows me to bring up a configuration screen.

I should add that the security constraints on my wireless router require that the MAC address of any device be registered before access is allowed in addition to requiring a key (I'm not sitting in front of the affected system but I think it's WPA).

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
PrintDoc
Retired
Retired
20,467 20,434 1,425 4,889
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am not an expert on Wireless Print Adapters, but I will try.  I think you have to load the software for the adapter (get the latest software from the "Support & Driver" link at the top of this page).  The OS will not support the Print Adapter natively.

I am pretty sure that the Print Adapter only supports printing, not scanning.

Finally, MAC filtering will get in your way of installing this device.  Plus, it is not a very good security measure.  Read more here.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
awachsman
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The link at the top of the page directs me generically to documents for the wireless adapter and I see no place where I cn find drivers for this particular device.

Even the documentation continues to makes references to an installation CD - that's something I probably should not use (even if I could locate it) since I'm using OS X 10.6.5 which supposedly contains everything needed to establish the connection.

I'll disable MAC address filtering at my wireless router to see if that changes anything

0 Kudos
PrintDoc
Retired
Retired
20,467 20,434 1,425 4,889
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Read the fine print on the CD, it may be OK for 10.6 (but only if it says so).

This is a strange one, sorry I can't be more help.  Maybe someone else can chime in.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
0 Kudos
awachsman
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I got the printer before 10.6.x was available so I don't imagine that there is compatibility, let alone fine print on the CD.

At this point, I've disabled MAC filtering at the wireless router but with no change in my fundamental inability to add this printer to the network.  In addition, here's what's been tried and what the conditions are:

1. I can print to the H470 with a direct USB connection, regardless of whether the 802.11 B/G Wireless Printing adapter is installed

2. If the adfapter is installed in the printer, the light goes on.  When that happens, I can see that the networks available to me expands to include one named hpsetup.

3. I can connect to hpsetup (presumably an ad hoc network) via Airport.  When I do so, I can print wirelessly to the H470 which shows that the connection is mediated by Bonjour, but I cannot connect to the Internet - my standard wireless connection and the H470's connection cannot exist concurrently.  When connected to hpsetup, I am not presented with anything I can recognize within OS X's built-in printer configuration utility which allows me to add the printer to the standard wireless network, although the printer itself is visible.

4. If, after creating the printer while in hpsetup, I reenable my standard wireless network connection, the H470 persists and is visible but is never reachable for configuration purposes.  It is consistently showing as offline or otherwise inaccessible to OS X's printer configuration utility.  In sum, this printer cannot be accessed wirelessly unless I point my connection directly to hpsetup. 

I'm prepared to discuss this further with anyone who thinks they can help. 

0 Kudos
awachsman
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update -

While much of the documentation I've read indicates that the Startup CD which accompanies the printer is not suitable for use is OSX 10.6.x, that may or may not be the case.  

I first downloaded and installed the latest drivers for the H470.  While the installation was successful, it solved nothing.

I then downloaded and installed the current version of HP_Installer_OJH470_v.97.dmg after verifying that MAC filtering at the wireless router was in fact disabled.  I first executed the entire installation in one pass, i.e. printer installation and wireless configuration together. While the wireless configuration component located the wireless network and prompted for the security key, it failed to secure an IP.  I elected to bypass the wireless configuration and completed the setup without it.

I restarted the system and started HP Device Manager and started the Setup Assistant, opting to configure the printer wirelessly (throughout this, the printer was connected via USB).  Setup Assistant was unable to detect the wireless network but entering the SSID of the network manually and electing to join allowed me to proceed.  The application prompted me for the security key and this time secured an IP from the router successfully. 

After completing the setup process, I checked to verify that the printer had been added successfully.  After verifying its presence, disconnected the USB cable and printed a text document successfully over the wireless connection.

Looks like I'm done.

0 Kudos
TechnoArciel
Level 1
3 2 1 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

awachsman --

Just a note of appreciation for your returning to this thread to post what turned out to work for you. A friend asked me today to help with installing her new wireless HP printer/copier/scanner (a C310, I believe) and the device was infuriatingly difficult to connect. (Wirelessly, that is; USB was a no-brainer.)

We had all of your unsuccessful experiences, and then followed your successful ones step by step. Even then, our initial failure caused us to re-read your post, and we realized that we'd skipped the "restart the system" (which for us was the router, the HP device, and the computer) -- did that, and we were finally in business.

My friend (a computer novice) had been told by the salesguy, "Plug it in and push the button. It will install itself." She's going back tomorrow for a talk with him...

Thank you -- and thanks to everyone who posts "This Worked" updates when they get things solved!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation