cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Diana90 Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Wireless Printing/scanning issues

HP Envy 4502
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi

I brought a new printer two weeks ago, it's a HP Envy 4502. It works fine and I have no real issues however. I set it up and connected it to my wireless router so I can print wirelessly and scan.

There is a slight issue, when I switched on my printer it connects but when i try to print or scan it says it cannot connected, but on my printer there is a blue light to show it's connected to the network. When this happens, I keep searching for networks again, re-connect to our and type in the passphrase and then when I go to scan or print it works fine. But I have to keep doing this. I set it up to our router, and it connects fine...but it never scans or prints...I have to re-enter our passphrase to get the printer to print or scan.

Any help guys??

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Retired
Retired
768 631 42 97
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi @Diana90.

Welcome to the HP Forums. I hope you have a pleasant experience here! :cathappy:

I would like to help you with the intermittent wireless connection issues you are having with your HP ENVY 4502 eAll-in-One printer.

The first thing I would suggest trying is to plug the printer directly into a wall outlet. The printer has a power moderator built in, so if it is plugged into a power surge bar or power strip, it can cause a slew of strange issues such as the one you are having. You can read more about using a direct wall outlet and why it is necessary here: Issues when Connected to an Uninterruptible Power Supply/Power Strip/Surge Protector

If that doesn't immediately resolve the issue, I've got a few things you can check to confirm the printer is setup correctly.

• How close is your printer to the router? (Usually we recommend between 5-25 feet)
  • Are there any obstructions between your printer and router? ie. walls with plumbing or appliances
  • What brand and model of router are you using?

Another thing you can try is performing a power reset on your network. Let's leave the router on and unplug the power cable (NOTE: Do not reset the router.), then do the same with the printer, and shut down the computer. After a full minute, plug the router back in, wait for it to fully power up, then plug the printer back in and wait for the wireless light to become solid. Once both the router and printer are on, go ahead and turn the computer back on. Doing this will refresh the network connection.

^ You shouldn't have to do this every time you turn on the printer, however.

Let me know if this works for you!

Thanks for posting.

:catvery-happy:

HeyListen
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Diana90 Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi

My printer is directly plugged into a socket and the printer is right below my router and there is nothing between them such as a wall. I have tried all this about 3 time. Funny thing is.....The printer connects instantly when my router is turned on (router is switched off when we are not using the net) because the is a light that shows if it's connected or not. Its a static blue when it's connected and it shows on my laptop as connected. But when I go to scan or print, sometimes it will not do as it's told...and I just simply re-input me passphrase for my router into the printer and hey presto..it works. It's a strange thing. I just tired switching on printer and scanned something...it worked fine.

My router and printer are always off unless needed. So when i need them, they get turned on. I usually wait about 2/3 mins for it all to boot and connect and once it does, the printer will show its connected to my network.

(Btw I am in the UK so my router is provided by Virgin Media, it's there newest router)

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
768 631 42 97
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hello @Diana90!

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

With the extra information you've provided I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is.

Your printer isn't like your computer, in the sense that it won't re-connect to your network automatically once it's lost the connection. The printer's technology is not quite that sophisticated. The printer will just hold onto the wireless settings that you input and assume that it is always connected. If you are turning the router off, the printer is still holding onto the settings it was using before being disconnected. It will not request a new IP address once the router is turned back on.

I hope this all makes sense.

The good news is, you can fix the issue by simply turning off your printer before turning off the router, and then giving the router all the time necessary to boot back up when you are turning it on, before you turn the printer on.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks again for posting!

:catvery-happy:

HeyListen
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!

Diana90 Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Right....so when I have finished I should turn off the printer first then my router? And when I need it again I should turn the router on first...then wait til its all booted then switch my printer on? Simple enough fix.

What I don't get is why it showed it was connected but didn't scan or print. Well I will give it a go and see if this resolves it. Cheers

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation