cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
RichDTurn
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Won't Print In Black

HP Recommended
Photosmart 5520
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I bought a new black ink cartridge, and all I get is blank pages.  It is a genuine HP 564 cartridge.  I cleaned the print head 3 times and it did nothing.  I tried "clean ink smudge" option and it did nothing.  I tried to print out an alignment and I got nothing but blank paper.

I've tried searching this board for answers and all I learned is that this is a very common problem that no one has a viable solution to other than rip the darn thing open.   I am not happy about this.  I've had the printer for over a year now, so the warranty is out but I don't think that this is right.  I bought this printer with the belief that it would be a good, reliable printer.  I see that I was wrong.

I am in the United States if that means anything.  I am very unhappy and if I don't get a satisfying solution to the problem, I will take my business somewhere else.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
unhappyuser2
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i know what you mean about a new black cartridge installed with and then it only prints blank page. i am just trying to copy a page, not even using a computer just the printer and after i put in the new black cartridge not printing anymore. i think this is the 2nd black cartridge replacement for my 3520e printer, so i think that HP must have a shelf life of slightly over a year forcing you to buy a new model. I WILL NEVER BUY HP AGAIN !  And try to find a help number to call good luck with that! LOL

0 Kudos
MissTrish1
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is there a solution without throwing out the printer?

0 Kudos
HevnLgh
Retired
Retired
7,878 7,777 398 990
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Folks,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! :smileyhappy: I see you are running into some print quality issues on your HP Photosmart 5520, you are unable to print in black ink after replacing the cartridge.

I would like you to continue here: Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages, I understand you may have done some of these steps already but I need you to complete all steps in order to resolve the missing black issue you are experiencing.

Please note: There are three printhead cleaning stages. Complete all three stages if necessary. If the printhead is badly clogged, it might require another cleaning cycle. If so, wait 30 minutes after the last (third) cleaning stage to start the first stage of the cleaning process over again.

If you are still unable to print in black ink, I suspect the issue may be the printer and not the cartridge. Because you have stated the printer is out of warranty, take a look at the video below. This is my recommendation only and not that pf HP's:

Black Ink Not Printing *Source

If you are still having the issue, please contact HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

HP Technical Support

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope this helps, let me know the outcome. Thanks for being a part of the HP community. Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution". If you require further assistance let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help. If you wish to say thanks for my effort to help, click the "Thumbs up" to give me a "Kudos".

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
RichDTurn
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Okay, I went and did all of the steps for the umpteenth millionth time and it still didn't do anything.

0 Kudos
HevnLgh
Retired
Retired
7,878 7,777 398 990
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@RichDTurn,

As mentioned above, if you are still having issues you will need to contact our technical support at http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Thank again for your persistence. 

Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution". If you require further assistance let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help. If you wish to say thanks for my effort to help, click the "Thumbs up" to give me a "Kudos".

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
RichDTurn
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Tech support just gave me the runaround after learning that my printer was no loner in warranty.  To that end, I had to go onto YouTube and search out a solution on my own.  I will never again buy an HP printer.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation