Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officjet Pro 8620
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have recently bought an HP Officejet Pro 8620 that I cannot get to work properly.

I installed the HP Officejet 8620 via the local office network but when I try to print to it from Word, Excel, Outlook, etc, I get an error:

Your file could not be printed due to an error on HP Officejet Pro 8620 there are several possible reasons:

Not enough printer memory

There may be a problem with the network

There may be loose cables

This is obviously not the case and is a standard Windows error, so I have uninstalled and re-installed as follows:

• Installed 8620 using full software, wired connection, failed to print
  • Installed 8620 using basic driver, wired connection, failed to print
  • Installed using Windows driver, test print worked, but when I print from anything else I get the same error.

I have done the following:

• Upgraded printer firmware
  • Uninstalled all HP software, drivers, ports and printer
  • Re-installed using HP drivers
  • Test page won’t print, excel won’t print, now nothing will print, its worse.

There is nothing on the forum to help

Google results are spurious at best, nothing specifcally helps

Help guides don't cover anythng like this

The company I bought it from won't reply to my emails

I have tried different Windows network ports aswell as a print server:

Print server = error

WSD port = error

Standard TCP/IP Port = error

HP Network re-discovery = error

Basically, it just won't work and we are completely stuck. We're technical people but we've spent 8+ hours on this now and we just can't get it work. 

HP, you are our only hope...

Regards,

Rob

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Running the diagnostics at http://www.hp.com/go/tools may help resolve the issue.  Download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor.

One other thing to check - from the printer front panel check the printer's IP address. Put this IP address in your browser and see if you can reach the printer's Embedded Web Server (EWS).  If the EWS cannot be found then check the IP address of your PC and printer, make sure they are on the same subnet.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your reply.

Accessing the EWS is fine, there are no network issues.

It is definitely an issue with Windows being able to talk to the printer properly.

We have an HP CP2025 which is fine, we've also tried an HP 4500 and an Epson SX415, those are fine. But consistently the 8026 is a problem.

I have tried the HP Print and Scan Doctor and that merely saus that the full software solution is not included. Currently we're working with the basic driver software rather than the full, but the full I tried previously so I think we're just going to go full circle with this option.

Clearly Windows can see the printer (192.168.8.190) on the network and the HP Doctor can see that Windows can see the printer on the network but there is definitely a communication breakdown somewhere.

What else can I try?

Rob

HP Recommended

This sounds like the driver is not seeing the printer.

I can walk you through setting the IP in the driver, but need to know what version of Windows you are running.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Sometimes it takes several posts back and forth to get to a solution - please be patient.
I am employed by HP
HP Recommended

Hi Bob,

I have an update.

I installed and ran through the HP Doctor.

It identified the 8620 on the network and told me to install the full driver package, which I did.

I opened Excel, tried to print and got the same "Your file could not be printed due to an error..." message.

I ran the HP Doctor again, it identified the 8620 on the network and it tried to print a test page - this worked!

I opened Excel, tried to print and got the same "Your file could not be printed due to an error..." message.

I then ran Excel as an Administrator and it worked!

So obviously these programs like Word, Outlook and Excel, for some reason, do not have permission to talk to the printer and Microsoft is throwing up a generic error: "Your file could not be printed due to an error..." message.

It's not just Microsoft programs, it is other applications by other providers so it isn't an Office problem, it is a Windows problem or a Windows / HP driver problem?

I don't want to have to turn UAC off as that is there to protect the computer, but what could the reason be that this is occuring?

Any ideas - anyone?

Thanks

Rob

HP Recommended

Hi TreeFrog,

I appreciate the response, thank you.

I've moved on a little, thanks to the HP Doctor, as per my last post.

Does that help with any fresh ideas?

Rob

HP Recommended

I would try using add printer to readd the printer as your normal user.  Hopefuilly that will add rights to the new printer for the current logged in user.  It may be that somehow Windows tied the current instance to the adminisrator account.

Sometimes it takes several posts back and forth to get to a solution - please be patient.
I am employed by HP
HP Recommended

Hi TreeFrog,

Interesting, as each time it is the normal user that has installed the printer as well as trying to use the printer.

At least we're closer to locating the problem, it's just how to fix it.

I'll have a dabble.

Thank you.

Rob

HP Recommended

Rob,

I'm trying to think out of the box on this one.  I did a little looking at where Windows puts its spooled documents.  It is something like:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS

You could check permissions on that folder.  Maybe they got changed?

I am employed by HP
HP Recommended

[Back from the dentist]  You might log in as Administrator, go to the Devices and Printers folder, right click on the Officejet Pro 8620, Printer Properties, Security and check the settings.  I would suggest giving "Everyone" ability to Print, Manage this printer, and Manage documents.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.