cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
TravelingChick
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post

Z3100 Doesn't print red. Gunk in printhead area?

HP Recommended
Z3100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I noticed that my prints were incorrect, so I went down the usual path of replaceing the the ink cartrideg (which was low but not empty) and then cleaning the printheads.  Printer shows the printheads are all good, but I pulled the MK/R printhead and it is all goopey under it. See photo.

Is this an area I can clean? or is there some deeper problem going on? Also the area to the far right of the carrier/parking garage looks kinda nasty as well - not sure if this is normal or not.

The printer is 8 years old. I've had the belt replaced ~4 years ago by HP tech, I'm assuming he did regular maintenance at the same time.

"Goopey" bit:

image1.JPG

Mess at the far right hand side:

image2.JPG

Interested in how much of this I could/should fix on my own, as having a tech out on an 8-y/o printer may not be the best use of funds.

Thanks,

Celeste

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
jasonmiamifl
Level 7
880 818 37 84
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

if you can get to the main menu, go to main menu.. press    replace printhead.

When carriage box moved to the left.... unplug the power.

open box, remove red printhead,  insert a piece of  plastic under ( to hold clean liquids )

Used rubbing alcolhol & tooth brush, clean it good & also areas around.

Should do same for all printhead areas. clean encoder strip, silver metal rod, then lubricate it,

also the ink drop box area.    

Amazing your service station still working & myself always worry about it. 

Clean your printheads & close all & power on.

keep your fingers cross....  good luck.

Let me know if you & others  have better ideas.....

0 Kudos
Mikeg81
Level 10
Level 10
2,276 2,271 113 241
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

actually, is not good to clean with alcohol as it dry out rubber.

The septum on the carriage for the printhead are made of rubber.

Better use water. ink is water based

Best regards

Mike G

I'm an HP Inc employee. But my response is not in behalf of HP Inc
0 Kudos
TravelingChick
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So it's okay to go in there with damp/wet lint-free cloth and try to clean up the gunk? And is that likely to the problem? And if it is, how do I prevent it or is it just part of the deal. None of the other print heads have that kind of build up.

0 Kudos
Mikeg81
Level 10
Level 10
2,276 2,271 113 241
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, you can clean it with a lint free cloth damp with water

You can do the same everytime you replace a printhead.

This could have been caused by a bad printhead, but if this happens with every single printhead, the septums might not be in good share and you could be facing a problem with the ink tubes.

Best regards

Mike G

0 Kudos
TravelingChick
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I took some time today to very carefully clean the red gunk out of the printhead area as shown in the previous photos, using a microfibre cloth and filtered water.

After leaving the printer open for some time to be sure everything was dry, I plugged it back in and ran a test print. About half-way through, it cut it off and told me I needed to replace the red ink cartridge (which was brand new and worked fine before I started this thread), which I did.The printer told me this one was bad, so I put the old one back in (which I had replaced thinking it was bad, but still had ink and had been stored in a ziploc).

It seemed to be fine and I tried to run another test print. Same thing happens.  I open the top flip-up cover to take a peak, and there is loads of red ink on the large metal bar (? support piece? not sure what it is called but it doesn't have moving parts?) . I wipe said ink off, close the top, and proceed once again to replace the red ink cartridge - neither of which is working now.

I wanted to get back to the printhead area to check and see what was going on where I cleaned before, but it won't let me access the printheads until I replace the red cartridge (which doesn't need replacing). So (gulp) new worries and no clue...

Questions:

How can I access the printheads w/o changing the cartridge? I don't have any spares of any color to plug into the spot at this point. Is it OK to try the brand new red one in another color's slot and vice-versa to check for some kind of error with whatever determines when a cartridge is "bad"?

I turned the power off, but the carriage is parked and I obviously don't want to force it to move. Is there another way to get there?

What does it meant that there was quite a bit of red ink pooling along that support bar? It wasn't dripping but it was definitely more than a drop or two?  Is there some other component that I need to be worried about?

Is this what you were referring to when you talked about septums and ink tubes? (I don;t know what a septum is in this context).

Thanks for any input.

0 Kudos
TravelingChick
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I took some time today to very carefully clean the red gunk out of the printhead area as shown in the previous photos, using a microfibre cloth and filtered water.

After leaving the printer open for some time to be sure everything was dry, I plugged it back in and ran a test print. About half-way through, it cut it off and told me I needed to replace the red ink cartridge (which was brand new and worked fine before I started this thread), which I did.The printer told me this one was bad, so I put the old one back in (which I had replaced thinking it was bad, but still had ink and had been stored in a ziploc).

It seemed to be fine and I tried to run another test print. Same thing happens.  I open the top flip-up cover to take a peak, and there is loads of red ink on the large metal bar (? support piece? not sure what it is called but it doesn't have moving parts?) . I wipe said ink off, close the top, and proceed once again to replace the red ink cartridge - neither of which is working now.

I wanted to get back to the printhead area to check and see what was going on where I cleaned before, but it won't let me access the printheads until I replace the red cartridge (which doesn't need replacing). So (gulp) new worries and no clue...

Questions:

How can I access the printheads w/o changing the cartridge? I don't have any spares of any color to plug into the spot at this point. Is it OK to try the brand new red one in another color's slot and vice-versa to check for some kind of error with whatever determines when a cartridge is "bad"?

I turned the power off, but the carriage is parked and I obviously don't want to force it to move. Is there another way to get there?

What does it meant that there was quite a bit of red ink pooling along that support bar? It wasn't dripping but it was definitely more than a drop or two?  Is there some other component that I need to be worried about?

Is this what you were referring to when you talked about septums and ink tubes? (I don;t know what a septum is in this context).

Thanks for any input.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Mikeg81
Level 10
Level 10
2,276 2,271 113 241
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

If you installed a new ink cartridge and it is not recognized by the printer, call HP and request a replacement if in warranty.

To remove the printhead, turn the printer off, back on, when the carriage moves out of the right disconnect the power cable and remove the printhead. At this point DO NOT install a new Printhead.

Wait to have a new ink cartridge and prompt the printhead replacement from the front panel to install the new one.

The picture you took of the part full of ink where the needle on the printhead goes in, thats the septum.

Best regards

Mike G

0 Kudos
TravelingChick
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was able to access the printheads following your directions. Thanks!

I don't honestly think the ink cartridge is defective - the one that was installed and the new one were both performing correctly before all of this started. 

Should there be this much red ink in there (facing the printer, looking to the right were the printheads park)?

That almost looks like something is leaking, esp considering the ink I wiped up yesterday. 

IMG_0950.JPG

I really appreciate your help, Mike! 

0 Kudos
Roy_Kuzmich
Level 6
217 191 21 32
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I believe that the rubber seals of the Septum have deteriorated and you have a leak.

This will require a complete Ink Tube system replacement.

The Printer may be reading a bad Ink cartridge because of the leak (likely air in the tubes due to leak)

Good Luck,

Roy

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation