Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
officejet pro 8600 n911g
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

2 days ago I checked my ink cartridge levels and they were 3/8 of an inch high. This morning I printed 1 page in black and white, I really don't print anything in color any more. Anyway after printing the 1 page my printer took 2 minutes to turn off and when I turned it back on I checked my color ink levels and they now are down to less than 1/8 of an inch. What is going on.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@mikemay63

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus e-All-in-One Printer. I read that that the ink levels shown on the printer are contradictory. The ink levels earlier were shown as 3/8 of an inch high. After you printed  1 page in black white, the printer shows that the ink levels are now down to less than 1/8 of an inch. 

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Are you using original HP cartridges or refilled cartridges?

NOTE: Ink level warnings and indicators provide estimates for planning purposes only. When an indicator shows low ink levels, consider having a replacement cartridge available to avoid possible printing delays. You do not need to replace cartridges until you are prompted to. Secondly, no using the color cartridges at all may cause the ink to dry.

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Remove and reinsert the cartridges and check. 
  • Clean the printhead using the following steps:
  • Load plain white paper into the tray.

• On the printer control panel, touch the Right Arrow () to display additional options.

• Touch Setup (), and then touch Tools.

• Touch Clean Printhead. The printer cleans the printhead, and then prints a test page.

You may also try to remove and reinsert the printhead as described in this link

Finally, you may perform a firmware update on the printer.

I hope this helps. Let me know the results. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Yes I always use HP cartridges. I have had this printer for about 2 years and have never had a problem. I will do what you suggest and clean the print head. It's just dis heartining to think when after all the time I spent printing color pages for my job and now don't because everything is done via a smart phone that I now have to go buy color cartridges again because the ones in the printer have dried up.  : - (

Thank you for responding.

HP Recommended

@mikemay63

You're welcome. 

Please feel free to keep me posted on how it goes. Good luck! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.