Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
officejet pro 8500a
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Can you print black and white only when the color cartridges are low or out of ink?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi! @DiCicco, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand color cartridges are low on ink and you want to print black and white.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Is the color cartridges completely out of ink or is it just low on ink?

If the cartridges are low on ink you can try to print in black and white.

But if the color cartridges are completely out of ink you cannot print in black and white.

To print only in grayscale try the steps recommended below.

Follow these steps to set the print settings to print with black ink only. (You might need to change your print settings every time you print.)
In your software application, click Print.
Select your printer from the list of available printers.
Click the Paper Type/Quality menu.
Click the triangle next to Color Options.
From the Color menu, select Grayscale or Black & White.
   NOTE:
To use even less black ink, select the Draft setting.
Select Black Print ink cartridge Only, and then click Print to start the print job.
   NOTE:
When you want to print in color, you must turn off the grayscale setting in the Printer Properties, Options, Printer Setup, Printer, or Preferences window

I'll watch your reply!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My dialogue box does not have a "paper type/quality" option.

J D

HP Recommended

@DiCicco, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned you don't have an options of paper type/quality option on your MAC.

Since there is no full feature software available for sierra. You have to update the apple 5.0 printer software on your MAC and then try the steps recommended in my previous thread.

Please find the link to update HP Printer Drivers v5.0.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Mr. Robot,

I downloaded 5/0 and I still don't have a paper type/quality option.  It has also set my defaults to uncheckd black and white and checked two sided and I can't seem to change that.  Help

J D

HP Recommended

@DiCicco,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue still persists after following the steps provided in the previous interaction.

Let me jump in with a solution for this issue in place of my colleague as he is out of the office today.

Please follow the link: Printing with Black Ink Only (Mac)

Let me know if this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

It now prints black and white but the default settings need to be reset.  Presently black and white is unchecked and two sided is checked.  How do I change to "black and white" and "one sided".

HP Recommended

I figured it out.  Thanx for your help.

J D

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.