Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi MrMalcolmJames

If you're getting this message intermittently then there could be something going on with the cartridge itself. I assume you're using genuine HP cartridges? if so then I'd suggest contacting HP phone support as you may require a replacement. You can first check the warranty ends date (see link below for location of the date)

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00206040

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

You're a genius! Thanks a bunch.

But the message keeps showiing up after every print... is there some other solution?

HP Recommended

HP Knows it is not a Warranty issue...
HP Knows it is a Quality in Manufacturing issue
The Firmware is BUGGY and HP just assume replace cartridges instead of FIX The problem

Analogy:
If you replace a fuse you only resolved the symptom
You did not fix what caused the fuse to blow in the first place...

After spending HOURS on the phone with HP Support
Maybe they will replace your cartridges AFTER You Decline to purchase a New Printer at a discount...

HP Recommended

This totally worked for me.  THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

I worked through you instructions and thought I was opn a winner until I was about to scan the new realignment page, then I got the old "Incompatible Cartdridge" message  up again.

I wonder if this is built in obsolescence, and a slap on the wrist if you have used remanufactured cartridges. The above procedure I carried out with a new genuine HP cartridge.

OOps missed you last point.

I will try again.

Managed to print this reply, then the "Incompatible Cartdridge" message up again.

HP Recommended

This worked eventually, but had to be done everytime I had to print.

What has  been suggested by my ink supplier is to :Uninstall printer software and Reinstall using the disc, and NOT to accept any upgrades that come along re printer/photosmart.

HP Recommended

Like the thousands of other users who get the 'incompatable ink cartridge' message, I am disappointed in my printer. New print cartridge do not fix the problem. Cleaning ditto.

I want a machine that works as per the specifications - not one that constantly needs fixing and cleaning - and by the posts on this site, HP are taking a minimalist help atttude.

I will be sending my machine to the tip and purchasing a more dependable machine.

HP Recommended

I found that the HP colour cartdridge causes the problem. If you are only printing in Black remove the colour cartridge and it works fine. Should you want to print in colour use the :

Steps: 1. Press X& POWER at the same time

2. Press BLUE, GREEN, GRAY

3. Press BLUE until you see "INFORMATION MENU"

4. Press OK

5. Press Blue until you see "CHECKSUM FOR RELOCK DATA INPUT"

6. OK

7. Press X until you exit all menus

8. When prompted for “alignment” cancel it with X. It should bypass the error

If it doesn’t work first time try again.

Found later on this forum

Yes it is a pity that HP has to get so greedy and put this software bug into the equipment.

HP Recommended

I am no Tutor or expert on computers, but found the Checksum method on this forum a couple of months ago and decided to clean it up into bullet points for easy use. I have printed it and stuck it to the lid of the scanner for easy access and as an aid to my failing memory.

HP Recommended

As I hardly ever print in colour I removed the colour cartridge (New HP one at that) and the printer prints ok in black. I was always getting the message  that the cartridges were incompatible and thus stopping it from printing. If I want to print in colour it will only be the odd sheet, then I will go the checksum route. 

It is not just printers HP plays the same the game with.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.