Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 9 (16,168 Views)

c4580 will not scan to pc or scan from the pc software

Can any one advise why my brand new c4580 will not scan wirelessly from the hp pc software or scan directly to pc by pressing the scanner button? It will copy and will print wirelessly but when I try to scan , the scanner starts up so does the pc software but then the software just hangs and the scanner stops. I do not get any show of the scan on the pc. No preview or anything???

I have installed and reinstalled 3 times. 

dan

0 Kudos
Honor Student
Message 2 of 9 (15,961 Views)

Re: c4580 will not scan to pc or scan from the pc software

I have just installed the printer for the third time, as I have the same problem as you. I tried to switch off the printer and unplug the power cable, but it does not work.

On my pc, I use windows vista 64 bit and I connect to the printer using wireless. I don't think is something to do with the operating sytem. it seems like the printer cna receive from the network but it can not transmit.

Did you finally find any solution?

Yiannis

Teacher
Message 3 of 9 (15,676 Views)

What operating system are you using?
"Any time you have the opportunity to make a difference in this world, and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth." - Roberto Clemente
Honor Student
Message 4 of 9 (15,673 Views)

I am using Windows vista 64bit on my desktop. I have tried to scan using my laptop which runs on windows XP 32bit and i have the same problem.

I also try to see if I can scan using the web server on the printer but there is not scan option on the web server.

PS. I am very dissapointed from the product, it clearly does not do what it was advertised to.

And HP support is only available office hours, when the customers are in the office too and they can not call them. :-)

Student
Message 5 of 9 (15,459 Views)

i'm having the same problem.  just to let you know, i just dumped an hp wireless C6180 that had the same problem! that puppy would print wirelessly but i failed in 2 years to ever get it to scan wirelessly.  this C4580 will scan wirelessly when ordered to do so by my iMAC but i cannot initiate the command to "scan to pc" from the printer.  i ask the same as you:  "why claim a printer has a function, if it does not?"

if anyone gets the answer, i hope you'll share.  i'll do the same.

good day,

al 

Intern
Message 6 of 9 (15,505 Views)

1.) Click on Start>Programs>Accessories>Run. It will open a text box. Type services.msc then click OK.

2.) It will open the Services window. Look for PML driver from the list and highlight it or 1 left click on it. At the upper left column click on Restart the service link.

3.) Look for HP Network... from the list then highlight it or 1 left click on it. At the upper left column click on Restart the service link. Right click on HP Network... then left click on Properties. It will open a dialog box. Under Startup type, change the Automatic option to Manual. Click on Apply and OK.Close the Services window.

4.) Restart your computer.

5.) Open Solution Center. Click on Settings>Scan Settings>Scan to...Setup. It will open a dialog box. If the Front panel dsetination list is empty, transfer the scan shortcuts from the left pane to the right pane using the righ arrow button. Click on OK or Update this device button. Close the Solution Center.

6.) Try scanning from the printer scan button.

Intern
Message 7 of 9 (14,537 Views)

Thank you Nickyton81!

I also had the scan error on the 4580, and my solution center would not open because it didn't find the device. Printing worked fine though.

I followed your steps and can now scan from my laptop and from the 4580.

FYI when I restarted my laptop, I was prompted to re-insert the photosmart CD, and it re-did step 4 of the install. Solution center then started and found the 4580. My settings path was different from what you show - I think I found the dialog box in Preferences, but the shortcuts were already there anyway.

The 4580 would not have been my first choice but HP threw it in with my HDX18 laptop for I think $49 so I can't complain too much. When they said wireless I thought it just meant that I could connect my laptop to it wirelessly, while my non-wireless desktop would connect on USB. I was pleasantly surprised that it is a true network device available to any computer attached to the router. And I didn't have to use my last open router port or the USB on my Iomega network drive.

Student
Message 8 of 9 (13,407 Views)

I sorted mine by entering the settings page of my router (Netgear) and setting up rules for the built-in firewall. The internal firewall was blocking the printer, I could print, scan using the computer, just couldn`t scan from the printer to the computer.
Tutor
Message 9 of 9 (6,543 Views)

I have tried to do this but when I click on 'settings>scan settings>scan to...setup' not only does nothing happen but the option then 'grays out' and becomes unavailable!

The solution center is reporting that there is no communication to the machine despite the printer working fine!

Running win 7 64 bit and already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, etc. as well as trying different usb cables.

please help as this is driving me nuts! Thanks. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation